Holy food inflation batman - Thanksgiving 2021

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Yikes, so I just finished the buy for 2021 Thanksgiving. We are hosting celebrations this year and buying practically the same stuff from previous years, but I am in it about $100 more this year. Menu is:

Roast turkey 21# raw
Hickory smoked ham 4#
Truffe Mashed taters
Rst glazed sweeties
Bacon rst brussel sprouts
Steamed Broccoli (kids)
Jello salad (kids)
Pumpkin cookies (kids)
Sausage Stuffing
Gravy
green chile sauce
cranberry relish
Greenbean casserole
Coleslaw
cottage cheese
Jardiniere/Olives
Crudite'
Rolls
Pumpkin pie
Pecan Pie

I know inflation has been happening, experiencing it first hand since 2020 when feed grain prices went nuts sending proteins through the roof (haven't much come down) and fuel/trucking costs and labor increases driving additional upward pressure on consumer cost. None the less I've been able to shop smart/sales etc + cooking at home religiously and have been able to insulate our budget from the obvious immediate signs in retail food service, restaurants, take out etc. It really hit home while shopping for holiday core items though - aside from giving your budget plenty of time and buying earlier, you just have to take that bullet on core items. $0.50 cent a pound turkeys weren't happening in my neck of the woods this year - turkey was $2.50lb in 2021.
With all of the catastrophic talk of supply chain failure, the shelves were stocked pretty well and have been-obviously that strain is real and between outward pressure on availability and internal business pressure to keep ordering extra tight, there have been holes on the shelves - but all in all, Ive noticed pretty consistent, at least one facing full shelves. Everything was there by item - what was missing was selection. Offerings were leaner. Instead of having multiple options of say blanched almonds, you had one option. That was it. There was zero competition within the item, category etc. I didn't have another option, it was either Mrs. Fondlers blanched nuts or nothing, price be damned. That is what I noticed in my neck of the woods. This may be different in larger markets with larger populations but supply chain & labor stresses have manifested themselves in my neck of the woods as primarily longer waits and less or no variety, not outright holes in availability.

Hey on the bright side, I found some real nice bottles of vino in the sub 20 and sub 10 per bottle categories that I am very excited to break into . At least wine is still very competitive and vibrant in variety and selection.

Regardless of this crazy time in food service, have a wonderful holiday (for those of you who celebrate it).

Last edited: