IBM 5170 main board components

champagneandchips

New Tinkerer
Nov 2, 2021
PNW
I have an IBM 5170 board which suffered some damage from a leaking battery. It's mostly cleaned up but will most likely need some components replaced soon.

Specifically, does anyone know what the component pointed to is? It's labelled FB2 and sits behind the backup battery connector by the keyboard connector. I've seen references to a "ferrite bead" component, but I don't know what that is and what specifically to look for to replace it (I'm not an electrical engineer; am I looking for something like this?).

I think it's a later (the latest?) revision 3 board, see model number in the second picture.

It would also be fantastic if anyone had a list (or source to it, already googled it without much luck) for other components, specifically the tantalum capacitors. There seem to be a ton of them, and they're not always positioned in a way that makes it easy to read the values. I've found one doc for a rev1 board but I want to make sure I know the specific specs for the later revision I have.

Thanks!

[This will be going into an ultrasonic cleaner this weekend!]

Attachments

• components by kb connector.JPG
    components by kb connector.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 72
  • board identifier.JPG
    board identifier.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 69

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
FB, in PCB Silkscreen nomenclature, stands for Ferrite Bead - they're just wire links with a ferrite surrounding them - used for noise suppression - any cheap ferrite bead from eBay would do the job :)