iivi No Chime, No Video, Recapped and working Power supply….Help?

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
So I have a iivi and it’s been recapped, I know the power supply is perfect and there’s no corrosion. However when it boots the fan spins the, led comes on, but after that nothing else just stays on with the fan running, any ideas?

RetroViator

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
retroviator.com
So I have a iivi and it’s been recapped, I know the power supply is perfect and there’s no corrosion. However when it boots the fan spins the, led comes on, but after that nothing else just stays on with the fan running, any ideas?
I have a IIsi doing something similar. I need to get back to it, but I’m thinking there is a bad via somewhere… perhaps under an IC —most likely around the soft power area of the board.

I bought an ATX PSU extension cable so I could power the unit and still get to board so I could check signals with the oscilloscope.

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
I have a IIsi doing something similar. I need to get back to it, but I’m thinking there is a bad via somewhere… perhaps under an IC —most likely around the soft power area of the board.

I bought an ATX PSU extension cable so I could power the unit and still get to board so I could check signals with the oscilloscope.
So talked to Thomas from Amiga of Rochester and he said could be a ROM issue and after doing some research here and there I’m beginning to suspect that may be the case. My question here is if I were to make a new ROM or set of ROMs what chips are compatible, I know it’s a 1MB ROM. Also there is a ROM dump I found in macintosh repository and I was wondering would the iivi ROM in that dump work meaning is there a hi and lo in it that I can just dump the bin files into a programmer and write to them, pop them in and boom maybe works?

Branchus

Tinker Different Public Relations Liaison 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Can I ask whether it worked before recapping? And who did the recapping?

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
Can I ask whether it worked before recapping? And who did the recapping?
Didn’t work before recap, no broken traces visible some minor corrosion but still had continuity and 0v resistance. What’s also weird is I know the EGRET is good because ADB power switch on keyboard starts machine and I have three drop in spares all had the same result. A friend of mine in Sweden acquired it and recapped it the board looks very clean but even after recap nothing still. And yes the power supply does in fact work perfectly.

Branchus

Tinker Different Public Relations Liaison 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Didn’t work before recap, no broken traces visible some minor corrosion but still had continuity and 0v resistance. What’s also weird is I know the EGRET is good because ADB power switch on keyboard starts machine and I have three drop in spares all had the same result. A friend of mine in Sweden acquired it and recapped it the board looks very clean but even after recap nothing still. And yes the power supply does in fact work perfectly.
Has it had a really good clean after recapping?

This is my generic checklist that I always follow if a board doesn't work after recapping. It's all pretty obvious stuff, but still good to go through.
  1. Is it clean?
  2. Check your work (correct components, polarity etc.)
  3. Check for accidental shorts (particularly when replacing electrolytic caps with tantalum)
  4. Check for solder balls
  5. Check for bent pins on the large ICs
  6. Check for missing components, particularly on the underside of the board. Those little components can easily get knocked off
  7. Check for corrosion
  8. Check for cracked solder joints
  9. Inspect, inspect and inspect some more.
I know it might be something else, but this is my normal starting approach.

Thanks,
Bruce

Reactions: RetroViator

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
Has it had a really good clean after recapping?

This is my generic checklist that I always follow if a board doesn't work after recapping. It's all pretty obvious stuff, but still good to go through.
  1. Is it clean?
  2. Check your work (correct components, polarity etc.)
  3. Check for accidental shorts (particularly when replacing electrolytic caps with tantalum)
  4. Check for solder balls
  5. Check for bent pins on the large ICs
  6. Check for missing components, particularly on the underside of the board. Those little components can easily get knocked off
  7. Check for corrosion
  8. Check for cracked solder joints
  9. Inspect, inspect and inspect some more.
I know it might be something else, but this is my normal starting approach.

Thanks,
Bruce
Excellent check list I have gone through and made sure, I have some photos there was one trace that was broken, same issues even after repair. I'll add some photos. Everything pictured with corrosion still has continuity.

Attachments

• tempImageh1xcDI.png
    tempImageh1xcDI.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 51
  • tempImage9mrmxZ.png
    tempImage9mrmxZ.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 50
  • tempImageDYxhW4.png
    tempImageDYxhW4.png
    4 MB · Views: 53
  • tempImage1thtLQ.png
    tempImage1thtLQ.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 54
  • tempImageVBymXv.png
    tempImageVBymXv.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 62
  • tempImageurSpcQ.png
    tempImageurSpcQ.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 59
  • tempImageP1hJo5.png
    tempImageP1hJo5.png
    6.2 MB · Views: 62

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
That'll be fun at least it won't be removing one.
Well I sent this one off to Amiga of Rochester for (hopefully a succesful) repair. In the meantime I had a friend in Sweden track down a spare board and of course it needed recapping. So I recapped this one as well and what do you know? Same exact issue as the one I just sent out. Difference here is there is way less corrosion and to top it all off absolutely dead, it will not power on or give me an LED at all. If this is a EGRET issue which I doubt it is I have spares but this one looks to be just fine. So what is it with iivi boards do chips just fail way more commonly or is it something that happens if they sit without a power cycle for too long?