iMac G3 speaker issues

VicNor

Tinkerer
Apr 13, 2022
Sweden
I've enjoyed my iMac G3 Indigo quite a bit as a jukebox. Fire up iTunes (MP3's) or Vox (FLAC's) in Tiger and play some music in the background while working on something else on my modern computer. It's also my goto machine to play audio CD's.

When I got the computer a few months ago, the left speaker has slightly lower volume compared the right speaker when doing the audio test @ 2000 Hz and white noise in OS 9.2.2. Nothing you notice in games or while playing music.

However, now the right speaker has started crackling at higher volumes (>50%) with certain songs and the OS 9 volume beep. Obviously, something is broken.

My question is rather: given the fragile plastics of the iMac - is it worth the effort to open up the effected speaker (right) and see if something can be glued together - or will the plastic around the speaker just break? I have opened the bottom of the computer several times to upgrade RAM, the HDD to a SSD and fix the CD drive with only a minor crack as a result. Also, I suspect that any replacement parts from Harman Kardon are hard to come by and not worth the price.