iMac G4 Power Supply Component B1 - is this a diode?

lfletche

New Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2022
Hey All, hoping someone can help point me in the right direction. I'm working on a later revision iMac G4 that has a dead power supply. This is one of the later "USB 2.0" 1Ghz revisions and it has a Samsung power supply unit in it with model number: PSCF161101A.

The first thing I noticed was the fuse had blown on this power supply.... digging around further I found it's had a rather catastrophic failure up around the bridge rectifier (D1) with one of the legs on that completely melted away - see the pics. My working theory with this is the fault was either that D1 rectifier or a nearby component which looks like a diode labeled B1. The issue is when I look at that component I can't see any text on it and I am struggling to find any references to what that part actually is. The component itself if it is a diode is stuffed as it's letting voltage through both ways. I've been able to work out all the replacement parts for everything else nearby - except this B1 component.

Hoping someone has tried a repair on one of these before and may have an idea or reference on this component? Thanks for any help in advance! :)

Cheers,
Luke.

Attachments

• IMG_2450.jpeg
    IMG_2450.jpeg
    835.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2451.jpeg
    IMG_2451.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2453.jpeg
    IMG_2453.jpeg
    663.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2440.jpeg
    IMG_2440.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35

trag

Tinkerer
Oct 25, 2021
It's (the PS) is probably a one layer board. I would trace out a schematic and from that it should become fairly obvious what role that component was playing. Power supplies are not all that complicated. I'm a little curious about calling D1 a *bridge* rectifier. A bridge rectifier contains four discrete diodes and typically has four terminals. From the photos it looks like D1 has only 2 terminals, but I might not be seeing everything.

Reactions: phunguss