Introducing the Flytech Carry-I, a book-sized 8088 PC XT clone from 1989.

DeChief

Tinkerer
Oct 17, 2021
Sydney, Australia
linktr.ee
I'm happy to see IBM compatible forums now, I was going to suggest them but didn't know how much interest there would be on a mostly Apple-centric site. I thought I'd help kick off this section by showing one of my favourite 8088 PCs.

I was lucky enough to find this machine on eBay in 2019, it came with the box, keyboard, stand, and original DR-DOS 5.0 boot floppies which appear to be slightly customised (it mentions the Carry-I specifically when booting). There were several models in the Carry-I line with specs ranging from 8088 to Pentium 1, some of which were diskless nodes. This model features built-in MDA and CGA video output via a DB9 connector (also a composite RCA connector for CGA which really comes in handy), gameport, serial, parallel, and a connector for an external floppy drive (unsure of the pinout). As for it's specs, from memory I believe it has an AMD branded 8088 and 640KB RAM, and the floppy drive only supports 720KB disks despite being a fully-fledged 1.44MB drive. Unfortunately it doesn't have IDE on the motherboard and there aren't any ISA slots, so it's lucky I have a working parallel port hard drive.

After it arrived, I quickly realised I had to find a similarly miniature monitor to go along with it and chanced upon a 5" black and white composite CRT when visiting my collector friends in South Australia. Paired with my MicroSolutions parallel BackPack HDD, it almost looks like it was designed for the Carry-I! Something else of note is that the keyboard is able to automatically switch between XT and AT modes, making it very useful when I'm repairing PCs of that era - especially with how little space it takes up on my workbench.

09bk8GA.jpg
t9SxMVl.jpg

CMC2uib.jpg
aihI9mx.jpg

ilnKq6C.jpg
Pg7KskI.jpg
FBNl2Bt.jpg

It's always fun to get out this machine and mess around with different monitor setups, it's how I justify owning so many CRTs :p Having both DB9 and RCA outputs for CGA makes it easier to run two monitors at once for some funky looks.

IMG_2756.jpg

I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a 9" monochrome CGA display earlier this year, and I think it matches the Carry-I quite nicely. This is what I would consider to be its default configuration now, as the monitor is extremely similar to the ones sold by Flytech for this PC. Now if only the tube were amber... :LOL:

Last edited:

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
The THINPC Client of their time! (not really)

It looks neat and it looks sharp running the CGA era of games I had back in my primary and secondary school computer labs (which had very outdated equipment in those days).