Jump starting an Apple Network Server

Elemenoh

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
Bay Area
I've been triaging a new-to-me Apple Network Server 700. Initially it'd boot okay but its hard drive was dead. It sat for a day while I found a boot CD for it and then just wouldn't power on. At best it'd have an initial blip of power but then power off in less than a second.

I figured it was the power supply since it's so old, but it does have dual PSUs. I have another known working ANS so swapped in its PSUs but the issue persisted. I tried a LOT of parts swapping until finally noticing that the action of the power button felt slightly different on the two units. So I removed the top cover and the power/reset button connector. I jumped pins 1 and 6 with a paper clip and it powered right up!

Hopefully the button will be fixable, but at least there's a workaround in the mean time.

ANS_power.png

trag

Tinkerer
Oct 25, 2021
I used to do this to my '78 KZ1000LTD. If I forgot my keys, or locked them under the seat, pull off the left side cover, bend a paper clip strategically, insert it in the correct 2 holes on the connectors, and ready to run motorcycle...

Amazing that any of those were not stolen...