Last finds of August 2024

phunguss

Tinkerer
Dec 24, 2023
Stillwater, MN
This week I did not get to Free Geek Minneapolis on Wednesday. So I went on Saturday (today). There was a pile of several SUN systems if anyone wanted to know.
Suns.jpg

I still can't say no. There was another G4 project for $10, 'no boot, no video card, as-is'
G4D450-Ten.jpg

It has 4 sticks of RAM, I pulled them all, installed an AGP video card and my 3.5" G3 Strawberry hard drive. First power up it chimed, did the PRAM reset for 3 chimes and the drive showed up in the boot picker.
G4D450-chooser.jpg

The PSU fan is a little noisy, so I may disassemble that later and see whats going on. Put the original RAM back in and it still fired up.
G4D450-info.jpg

Dual G4-450MHz with a real heatsink (see my cobble job on my other Dual G4-450 in the 2024 PPC Challenge)
G4D450-DP450.jpg

I rummaged through a bin of iPod parts and found this stuff for $1 each...
FGM-adapters.jpg

A Griffin iTalk for my iPod Gen3 Dock Connector!!! Not exactly sure what the 30pin FireWire and audio jack is for?

Next stop was the UofM ReUse warehouse. Found and iBook G3 -500MHz for $20, looks pretty clean, missing 3 rubber feet.
IBG3-clean.jpg

IBG3-twenty.jpg

Unfortunately, it appears to have a backlight issue... and it would not see my FireWire boot drive, so further investigation will have to be done.
IBG3-backlight.jpg

And some spare keyboards for reasonable prices, they will need a little cleanup.
UMR-kbs.jpg

And I dug through the mess of wires in a bin and found a FireWire 400 card I can use in a hackintosh as well as a Dr. Bott DVInator (DVI to ADC converter, requires cube psu). Some other random cables and adapters... and all for the sale price of scrap at $1 per pound.
UMR-FWcard.jpg

UMR-DVInator.jpg

Last edited:

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
You can blame me for the Sun stuff at FG - project I've been sitting on that I decided I just needed to move along. I'm hoping they'll find good homes.

Sorry @Kai Robinson! Had I known you were wanting a U5, I could have sent you one. I'll keep my eyes open for another!

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
I'd buy the one from FG, but shipping it might be out of the question for them!

After an IPX, an Ultra 5 and...a monitor.