M0001 power sweep/video board dead

MacintoshClassic

New Tinkerer
Dec 17, 2022
Need help on how to assess this M0001 analog board.

For context; almost a year ago now this board stop working with a loud pop and accidentally turning it on without being connected to the motherboard fried some components (r45, r60, q9E, q10), which i replaced. Once everything was soldered i reassemble the computer, plug it in… absolutely nothing. Swapped in a good fuse but that didn’t change anything so the fault is something else. Attached some pics to show what it looks like currently. I know someone who could check connections with the multimeter but whats a good place to start?

Attachments

• IMG_6634.jpeg
    IMG_6634.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6635.jpeg
    IMG_6635.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 48

SteveHere

Tinkerer
There was a book published in 1990 called "Macintosh Repair & Upgrade Secrets" by Larry Pina. It's an amazing book with practical steps you can follow for most Compact Mac troubleshooting. It's been a big help to me many times since @ScutBoy recommended it too me. You can find scans of this book online.

Reactions: ScutBoy

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
Pina also did a book called "The Dead Mac Scrolls" which which is a sequel to the above moving into even later machines. You will generally find both together - get them both!

Reactions: SteveHere

fred1212

Tinkerer
Jul 27, 2022
In the photo it looks like you may have a solder bridge on Q10. Also some solder balls to remove

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
There was a book published in 1990 called "Macintosh Repair & Upgrade Secrets" by Larry Pina. It's an amazing book with practical steps you can follow for most Compact Mac troubleshooting. It's been a big help to me many times since @ScutBoy recommended it too me. You can find scans of this book online.
This PDF is attached in our resources section.