M3 Keyboard Covers-Recommendations?

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
I'm pretty sure the answer is to "don't do that". I believe the tolerances are so tight keyboard covers can cause issues.

I've never done it so I can't say for or against, just the overwhelming message I've heard on reddit. What are you looking to get out of a keyboard cover?

Reactions: eric

2112st

Tinkerer
Oct 8, 2023
Northeastern New Jersey, USA
I'm pretty sure the answer is to "don't do that". I believe the tolerances are so tight keyboard covers can cause issues.

I've never done it so I can't say for or against, just the overwhelming message I've heard on reddit. What are you looking to get out of a keyboard cover?
I just spoke to a teacher friend who uses Macs, and she's used these with her MacBooks. Highly recommended.

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
Interesting. I generally don't use my laptop when eating or drinking, but it sounds like you may have found a good solution.

2112st

Tinkerer
Oct 8, 2023
Interesting. I generally don't use my laptop when eating or drinking, but it sounds like you may have found a good solution.
Actually, I don't either. 🙃 Heck, I keep food and drink on a totally separate table opposite of the M3, as well as keeping my hands VERY clean. It's mostly going to be for dust. 😎

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
Ah, in that case, I think our days of worrying about dust wrecking the fragile butterfly mechanisms in Apple keyboards are over. I've not heard anyone experiencing issues with dust rendering a keyboard unusable since the old butterfly keyboards that were phased out in 2019, I believe. The change back to scissor switches should be fine. If you're worried, maybe give that thin membrane a shot.

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
I am not a fan of the shallow keyboard tolerances on the M2 keyboard. I used a generic silicone cover to add height to the keys. It has nothing to do with keeping it clean although I ended up setting up my son on it to do his virtual summer reading club classes, so not a bad idea for little kiddos IMO. The last thing any of us needs is sticky juice going all over the top lol.

2112st

Tinkerer
Oct 8, 2023
Here’s the keyboard cover for my M3, recommended by my teacher friend. I think it worked out quite well. 😎

IMG_8571.jpeg