Mac Plus/ Rominator/MacPaint 1.3 issue

mloret

New Tinkerer
Jul 21, 2022
Hey guys. I am trying to get Mac Paint to run off of the Rominator I I installed on my Mac Plus. 1.0 complained that it didn't have enough memory. I decided to try MacPaint 1.3. That seems to launch but I get the message "MacPaint can't ind work space on the deault drive". Not sure what this means. Is the problem that there isn't enough space on the ROM drive or that it's not writable? Any work arounds? I guess I can run it off my floppy emu but I really wanted it to load with the Rominator.

Nixontheknight

Tinkerer
Nov 3, 2021
Hey guys. I am trying to get Mac Paint to run off of the Rominator I I installed on my Mac Plus. 1.0 complained that it didn't have enough memory. I decided to try MacPaint 1.3. That seems to launch but I get the message "MacPaint can't ind work space on the deault drive". Not sure what this means. Is the problem that there isn't enough space on the ROM drive or that it's not writable? Any work arounds? I guess I can run it off my floppy emu but I really wanted it to load with the Rominator.
I think it's because in normal cases, you shouldn't be able to write to the ROM on the Macintosh, and the ROM drive in the ROMinator is mapped to ROM space, and thus, it can't be written to. I suggest using a floppy emu or a SCSI drive to run MacPaint on, but do not attempt to save to the ROMinator

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
Confirmed, Mac paint requires the ability to make scratch files on the disk it launched from. The Rominator rom disk basically acts like a locked disk. preventing any writes to it. To test this out I put a mac paint disk image in mini vmac that was locked.

1661228310711.png

As for Mac paint 1.0 i just don't think it works at all in a Mac plus. But maybe its a system incompatibility....

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
And the older compact Macs under the earlier System versions used MFS rather than HFS, which could have also caused issues with the Rominator if it wasn't correctly configured to deal with MFS.

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
maybe a way around this would be to create a RAM disk. Either to boot up from... or to just have mac paint on it. and launch mac paint from the ram disk.

(you still have a problem of not being able to save any of your work unless you have an actual disk of some kind to write your PICTs too. )

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Good link, @Patrick. Interstingly:

According to source code comments, prototype Macintosh units with 512K of RAM existed at Apple Computer in May 1983. Outside of Apple, everyone in the know knew that the 512K Mac was right around the corner; the question was when would 256-kilobit DRAM prices drop enough to make the Fat Mac affordable?
The answer turned out to be fall 1984. Now the next question was what do do with all that RAM? Thanks to the design of the Macintosh Memory Manager, applications automatically benefited from the larger heap size; the Resource Manager could keep more resources in memory too, such as code segments, strings, and icons. Having these in RAM reduced the need to access the floppy disk.