Macintosh 128K Peripherals

patro85

New Tinkerer
Dec 5, 2021
Hey everyone! I just picked up an original Macintosh 128K for a steal (I got it as part of a lot from a local recycler, the SE/30 has definitely seen better days)! However, the catch is that it was just the Mac, and no accessories! 😔

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to get ahold of a keyboard and mouse without having to spend an arm and a leg? I figure that for diskettes I will need to order reproductions (not to mention other 400K floppies) or use a Floppy Emu.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

5DFEA7DC-22BC-4CCC-8485-2ED4DF8284D7.jpeg
BB4FB9B4-D1E9-4B70-A487-760A8EF3A18D.jpeg

davidg5678

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
What luck at the recycling center! :) It looks to me like this computer has been upgraded as there is a SCSI port modification in the top right corner. I believe that these SCSI upgrades usually came with accelerator cards or motherboard replacements. Perhaps this machine has a Mac 512k or Plus board inside, or even a cool accelerator board to make it run faster --I would be surprised if there was still a stock 128k board inside though.

I believe there are adaptors that let you use a USB keyboard and mouse with these machines, but I don't know the specifics. (There is an ADB adaptor that would work for the SE/30 and Classic, but not the older Mac called the ADB-USB Wombat.) I have heard that the original keyboards and mice have become really quite expensive --sometimes they cost more than the computer itself. This page has some information about building DIY converters to use more modern peripherals with the computer: https://blog.rekawek.eu/2016/12/08/mac-plus/

Reactions: patro85

RetroViator

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
retroviator.com
Not to divert attention from your question, but I'm curious about the DB-25 mod where I'd expect to see the battery holder. Is it to connect external SCSI devices? If so, does it has a Mac Plus board inside?

Back to your original question: finding an original mouse and keyboard is a struggle. I monitored eBay for quite a while until I found one of each decently priced, but together they can cost as much as the Mac itself.

Reactions: patro85

patro85

New Tinkerer
Dec 5, 2021
Not to divert attention from your question, but I'm curious about the DB-25 mod where I'd expect to see the battery holder. Is it to connect external SCSI devices? If so, does it has a Mac Plus board inside?

Back to your original question: finding an original mouse and keyboard is a struggle. I monitored eBay for quite a while until I found one of each decently priced, but together they can cost as much as the Mac itself.
I too am super curious about the mod! I noticed that right after I posted!

Branchus

Tinker Different Public Relations Liaison 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
I could be wrong, but I think that's an 800K floppy drive in there too, so I suspect it's had a 512Ke upgrade. @patro85 I'd sure love to see some photos from inside that Mac!

patro85

New Tinkerer
Dec 5, 2021
I could be wrong, but I think that's an 800K floppy drive in there too, so I suspect it's had a 512Ke upgrade. @patro85 I'd sure love to see some photos from inside that Mac!
As soon as I open it up I will post some images! I will also put together a YouTube video on it!

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
I found this googleing. YMMV.
is a ps2 -> 128/512/plus keyboard thingie.

it might be easier and cheaper to try to find another mac 128k~plus machine that might have the keyboard and mouse with it. (like via local ads or something)

i like @JDW videos on how to restore the 128~plus computers. He has a few. this is one.

Careful with cleaning the drive. I'm pretty sure I killed more then one. either by messing up the heads or shorting out the board. For this reason I like the Floppy EMU and at least then you don't have to worry about a working floppy. Also it works on like EVERYTHING apple. Apple ]['s, macs, Lisa, (am i forgetting something?)

2nd the calls on whats on the inside of the computer. That SCSI port *IS* interesting. I have one with that same thing going on. But I haven't had a chance to look into it yet. I bet they put another card ontop of the logic board. Which will make getting the logic board out tricky.

Last edited:
Reactions: patro85 and JDW

ElBaroni

New Tinkerer
Dec 11, 2021
Canberra, Australia
Looks like a SCSI upgrade. I have a 512 that’s upgraded that way. Mine had a MacRescue card — it can have up to four megs of RAM (in fact six, but the software to access the extra as a RAM disk seems to be lost). Probably had a 128k ROM upgrade as part of it, or SCSI would be useless. Does it boot?

Reactions: JeffC