Macintosh Classic 1, RGB2HDMI project complete

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
1644077446721.png

RGB2HDMI: an open source project on github that can deal with multiple video signals (from the early to late 80's mostly, sadly, no DOS VGA stuff) and send it to HDMI with lag below 1 frame (around a quarter frame iirc). It has tons of parameters to fine tune the stability and appearance of the signal. It can do both integer multiplication on your modern screen or soft/hard interpolation depeding on your preferences. It's a really well designed project.

project page: https://github.com/IanSB/RGBtoHDMI

I heard about it from Adrian Black when he put out his June 2021 video on implementing this on a Mac Classic:

There are faster, neater ways of doing this compared with what I ultimately chose, but I don't have ALL the equipment and ALL the know how. Still, I:

-got the gerbers (I used the 8/6 bit board + PC TTL extender so I went with a DB9 CGA/EGA style female connector on the extender board)
-ordered the PCBs from JLCPCB
-ordered the parts from mouser.ca including the Xilinx CPLD which is why this project works, the pi alone wouldn't be able to drive this fast enough - wasn't an exact match but was slightly better rated for temperature or something minor
-was extremely lucky to find a Pi Zero in a store in my province; overpriced, but better than nothing

1644077941094.png
1644077956213.png

Next step was to add a set of 4 wires directly on the crimp casing of the video wires that go directly on the analog board: BLK, WHT, VIO and GRY
1644077910192.png

I don't have millions of cabling options on hand, so I had to make do with a series of dupont connector wires (4 sets long of 4 of them to be able to fish them out the security hole, I'm ashamed to admit):

1644078070267.png

Gameplay footage:

After doing all this, bad news: the already slightly unstable video signal for my Classic has gotten noticeably worse. I can tamper this problem a bit by lowering the brightness of the CRT screen, but it's still there. The analog board will definitely need a recap in the near future.

A stark reminder that CRTs are on borrowed time in a long term perspective, and the RGB2HDMI is a super tool to have as a backup option!

Last edited:

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
This week, I got a cheapo USB hdmi capture device (that can reach 1920x1080p @ 30 Hz) which is more than sufficient for capturing gameplay, but not playing off of, so I got...

a powered HDMI 1in2out splitter so that the feed also goes in real time on a 2nd monitor.

I thus have a direct video + audio feed STRAIGHT from the BARE METAL of a Mac Classic, which I could be using for streaming.

I started a twitch account:
and I revamped a youtube channel I had laying around tied to an email account:

1Bit Fever Dreams
I took a few recording snippets:

Dark Castle part 1 (I have the shield, getting the fireballs, attempting the last section):

Shufflepuck Café (Biff destroys me)

More ShufflePuck Café (Eneg destroys me)

Déjà Vu from Rubicon Publishing (not to be confused with the adventure game from ICOM simulations)

Crystal Quest (reached a new high score!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR1sfqhJMdE

Reactions: eric