Macintosh II 40mm to 56mm Speaker adapter

wottle

Active Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
I recently discovered that my lack of boot chime on my Mac II was due to a bad speaker. I looked for some cheap 32 ohm speakers with a 56mm diameter, but the closest I found were these 40mm versions:

uxcell 0.5 W 32 Ohm DIY Magnetic Speaker 40mm Round-Shape Replacement Loudspeaker for DVD/EVD 8pcs

After testing that they worked (I soldered on the connector from the original speaker, but it would be easy enough to create a new tired connector as it looks to be a standard 2.54mm pitch connector [not confirmed]). I then was trying to figure out a more elegant way to mount it than leaving it loose inside the case, and thought I should create a speaker ring that will fill the space. So here is what I came up with:

IMG_1888.jpg

A couple of iterations to get the size right, but I think it should work well. There was a friction fit for the speaker on the inner ring, but I added some hot glue to help reinforce it. And the outer ring has an inset for the original clips that held the original speaker in. Might be worth trying to add some thin rubber spacers between the hard ring and the case, but this speaker isn't going to be winning any audiophiles over, so I'm just going to leave it as is. I just need to hear the boot chimes...

Here's the link to thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6408076

And attached are the files.

Hope maybe someone else with a busted Mac II speaker might find this useful.

Attachments

• MacII_Speaker_Adapter.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 59