Macintosh Quadra 700 Expansion Slot Covers

RetroTech

New Tinkerer
Jun 29, 2024
Hi, everyone! :) I’m new to the site and didn’t find anything related to this (sorry if someone already posted something similar).

Anyway, I recently purchased a Macintosh Quadra 700. It lacks rear covers on the two expansion slots. I was wondering if I should find replacements or something to cover those for thermal/airflow reasons.

Most of my experience with retro tech has been in 90s PCs but I’ve always found Macs and other eras of computers to be really fascinating so I’m venturing outside of my comfort zone. I’ve always read that PCs of the 80s/90s relied on the expansion slots (and any other intended case covers) to be intact so enough air flowed over the chips to passively cool them. I’m not sure how hot the Quadra 700 gets and it only has the PSU fan and a heat sink on what I think is the processor. I don’t want to inadvertently cook the poor thing.

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
The '040 can get a bit toasty as they were the original 800nm mask versions - but still doesn't need a fan at stock speeds - the fan in the PSU keeps a steady, quiet flow of air through it.

You're not going to wreck anything by not having anything in the expansion slots, or by not having an expansion slot cover - if you did want to put something in there, well if you have a BlueSCSI, you can print one of these out designed by Mr Lurch (from Youtube fame)

RetroTech

New Tinkerer
Jun 29, 2024
The '040 can get a bit toasty as they were the original 800nm mask versions - but still doesn't need a fan at stock speeds - the fan in the PSU keeps a steady, quiet flow of air through it.

You're not going to wreck anything by not having anything in the expansion slots, or by not having an expansion slot cover - if you did want to put something in there, well if you have a BlueSCSI, you can print one of these out designed by Mr Lurch (from Youtube fame)

Thank you for the advice and neat idea suggestion!! I can rest at ease now :)