Macintosh SE BlueSCSI mount/adapter for external access?

Garth Beagle

Tinkerer
Oct 28, 2021
Hey hey -

I'm looking for an adapter (or mount really) for a BlueSCSI to allow it to be accessible from the Macintosh SE's rear expansion port.

I've seen one for a RaSCSI for example, but just haven't found one yet for a regular BlueSCSI - does anyone make and sell these? I do not have a 3D printer myself.

I've sort of hacked mine in for the meantime with double sided tape (ugh)

Thanks!

back.png

Reactions: Eric's Edge

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
Reactions: Garth Beagle

Eric's Edge

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
I've been looking at something similar so I can extend a cable from my Performa 550 drive bay to the expansion slot opening. But then I'd be using up the expansion slot opening. Periodically opening the rear panel gives me pause - one of these days I'm going to break a plastic tab. A replacement 3D printed rear Performa panel would be ideal so it can be built in. But designing such a thing and getting it printed is beyond my skills. I don't want to cut the original panel either. Having the extension ribbon hanging out the back is probably the best option.

caver01

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Also, I just ordered a BlueSCSI kit from Joe’s computer museum. I expect I will need to make another version of the mounting bracket above to fit, so if you can wait a few days until after I get my kit, I will no doubt have another version to share.

caver01

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Have you considerd modifying the security slot? That way, if you decide to have an ethernet card installed, you can still access the SD cards externally?
It is a good point. If only I had an ethernet card to worry about that!

Actually, burning the expansion slot is far from ideal. A security slot mod would probably require cutting the plastic on the inside, so until I have something for the expansion area, I’d like to avoid destructive mods if possible.

I think if I did have an ethernet card, I would probably model a replacement slot cover to accommodate the SD card next to the AUI, or RJ45 jack etc. It would be a nice problem/challenge to have!

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
It is a good point. If only I had an ethernet card to worry about that!

Actually, burning the expansion slot is far from ideal. A security slot mod would probably require cutting the plastic on the inside, so until I have something for the expansion area, I’d like to avoid destructive mods if possible.

I think if I did have an ethernet card, I would probably model a replacement slot cover to accommodate the SD card next to the AUI, or RJ45 jack etc. It would be a nice problem/challenge to have!
That would work. Mount it above or below the AUI port on the card's port flange.

caver01

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
I just updated my thingiverse item <EDIT: NOW REMOVED—Sorry, I completely misinterpreted the PRUSA footer for object remix on PotatoFi’s item>. This was inspired by Potatofi, and tweaked to put the SD card within reach (or within slightly easier reach).

Anyway, there is now <was> a 1.1 version and a slightly updated f4.lite version which has a little protruding ”shelf” to help slide the SD card in and out—so you don’t bend it in half like I did one of mine!

Last edited:

AndyDiags

Tinkerer
Dec 18, 2021
The bracket doesn't seem to be designed in the correct orientation.
The customer facing plate should be the bottom of the print to allow it to have a nice matte finish, rather than the 3d printed look. Implementing an SD card extension cable, such as mentioned by Kai, into the designed would also be ideal so that there would be a small clean slit opening to insert the SD card.

Have you consider modifying the security slot? That way, if you decide to have an ethernet card installed, you can still access the SD cards externally?
I think this is the right way to go as it will allow us to use the expansion slot for any expansion card we have. The only foreseeable issue I see is that we'd need a creative+reliable way to disconnect it when pulling the back case off (ex. retractable cable/magnetic connector cable/etc), otherwise next time you pull the back case off you might yank the SD cable out.

caver01

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
The bracket doesn't seem to be designed in the correct orientation.
There are several factors of concern when it comes to design. Print orientation (and resulting surface texture aesthetics) is just one factor, but it is not incorrect to favor stability, avoid supports, and feature overhangs (that grow laterally at printable slopes). It is ultimately up to the printer-operator to decide if they would rather print on a different face by rotating 90 degrees.

This model has worthwhile features that challenge the orientation you want:
A protruding “shelf“ to facilitate support of the SD card sliding in and out (could you chop that off and glue a piece on? Sure).
The outward face sticks out a mm or so to position it into the opening (could you slice that flat to get print bed texture? Yes).
The screw holes have slots for drop-in-from-above, self-constrained nuts (could you embed them another way? Yep, you could even just use locknuts, threaded inserts or simply thread the screws directly into plastic).
All of this prints without supports.

It boils down to compromises vs. features. It is not designed wrong. This orientation was intentional. But you are welcome to rotate and add supports, or use some other bracket, or take this as a starting point and remix it.

caver01

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
@AndyDiags I like the security slot suggestion, but I could not think of a way to use it without cutting the case to get the security clips out of the way. Maybe there is a slick way to make a snap-in part that would let you mount one of these slot extensions and be reversable. If you designed that, I would probably download and print one!

On dual floppy SEs, would probably make something to snug up close to one of the floppy slots so you could access the card from the front.. This seems ideal, but not all models would be able to take advantage and I would not want to replace the floppy on singles.

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
@AndyDiags I like the security slot suggestion, but I could not think of a way to use it without cutting the case to get the security clips out of the way. Maybe there is a slick way to make a snap-in part that would let you mount one of these slot extensions and be reversable. If you designed that, I would probably download and print one!

On dual floppy SEs, would probably make something to snug up close to one of the floppy slots so you could access the card from the front.. This seems ideal, but not all models would be able to take advantage and I would not want to replace the floppy on singles.
As for the security slot idea, I can confirm that a microSD card extension cable like the one @Kai Robinson linked to can be inserted through the security port. I wanted access to the SD in my Classic II, which doesn't have the expansion slot of the SE or SE/30. So rather than damage the case I went with the extender. The little plastic SD card slot hangs out the back, so it's not ideal, but I may get some double sided tape to stick it down flush so it looks a bit better.

I too prefer non-destructive mods, and this one gives me the flexibility to swap out images without having to crack open the case every time. I suppose you could somehow mount it with the slot accessible through the security port, but with the plastic inside the port, it would be significantly recessed and you'd have to use tweezers to get the card in an out, and I'm guessing I'd lose it down in the case more than once.
E20FE330-923B-4397-B741-16FBAE9C6760.jpeg

Drake

TinkerDifferent Board Vice-President 2023
Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
As for the security slot idea, I can confirm that a microSD card extension cable like the one @Kai Robinson linked to can be inserted through the security port. I wanted access to the SD in my Classic II, which doesn't have the expansion slot of the SE or SE/30. So rather than damage the case I went with the extender. The little plastic SD card slot hangs out the back, so it's not ideal, but I may get some double sided tape to stick it down flush so it looks a bit better.

I too prefer non-destructive mods, and this one gives me the flexibility to swap out images without having to crack open the case every time. I suppose you could somehow mount it with the slot accessible through the security port, but with the plastic inside the port, it would be significantly recessed and you'd have to use tweezers to get the card in an out, and I'm guessing I'd lose it down in the case more than once.View attachment 3192
You can't do that! is says right there "chain only".
I've also been doing this with some of my units, little piece of double sided tape to keep the sd mount flush and secure. I am finding however my latest batch of bluepills HATE sd card extenders :(