MacOS 9 and system monitors

KHEMISANTOS

New Tinkerer
Oct 12, 2022
Was there ever any software similar to system monitor for OS X for OS 9? I’m just curious at times how much processor is actually being used for example.

ClassicHasClass

Tinkerer
Aug 30, 2022
www.floodgap.com
There's a couple nice process explorer tools the names of which currently escape me (not with my Macs at the moment), but I don't remember if they did CPU load. Difficult to do accurately in any case because classic Mac OS is cooperatively multitasked. An application that hogs the CPU, and many did (sometimes with good reason, sometimes not), will not let another app run, let alone figure out how many CPU cycles are available. Even under the preemptive multitasking feature available with Multiprocessing Services in 8.6+, whatever would actually display the CPU load would still be part of the blue task and subject to the usual cooperative limitations.

speakers

Tinkerer
Nov 5, 2021
San Jose, CA
peak-weber.net
CPU usage is 100% for early macOS versions. Prior to pre-emptive scheduling, most things was polled for and so the processor was always busy. macOS 8 introduced pre-emption and multi-threading among some blocking system services, but applications still needed to co-operate!

It's instructive to run infinitemac.org in a modern machine's browser and use Activity Monitor to watch the emulation. It's accurate enough to see these behaviors.

Crutch

Tinkerer
Jul 10, 2022
Chicago
CPU usage is 100% for early macOS versions. Prior to pre-emptive scheduling, most things was polled for and so the processor was always busy.
This is true, but one can measure which processes are using the CPU what % of the time, and do so accurately even if no process yields the CPU by checking (for example) the current application’s name 60 times/second from a VBL interrupt. It’s not actually very hard. That’s probably what apps like the one linked above did.

Last edited:

ClassicHasClass

Tinkerer
Aug 30, 2022
www.floodgap.com
I hadn't considered a VBL approach and I agree that makes things simpler, but if something's hogging the CPU, it should still need to yield to let the process monitor actually display anything, I would think.

Crutch

Tinkerer
Jul 10, 2022
Chicago
For sure. You can do the calculation in a VBL, but at some point the process has to yield or you can’t display anything.