Mixing audio on a Windows PC for streaming and video making, done right

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
This is the fruits on my struggle with video making and/or live with a vintage comp feeding audio and video into my modern PC and trying to make my mic sound nice.

In 4 increasingly difficult steps. No expensive hw faders/mixers, all controlled with the free Voicemeeter Banana.

IF YOU FIND THIS OVERWHELMING, there's a frugal solution at the very bottom which avoids Voicemeeter altogether and only requires VB virtual audio cable.

Why all this?

When you join a live stream inside Streamyard, it lets you select only a single audio source and a single video source. The audio source will obviously be your mic, but this implies you won't be able to show off a vintage piece of software that emits sounds and music to the gang in group video! Many other apps behave the same and don't let you mix multiple sources (zoom, discord video call, etc).

I've looked at a solution that seems to be popular, Voicemeeter (comes in basic form (free), Banana (free) and Potato (purchase)) and it seems many got inspired to do tutorial videos on it. I listened to a few of them and tried to make sense of it by producing my own connection diagrams.

This is one video tutorial under 4 minutes that set me on this path:

I recommend getting Voicemeeter Banana:

I recommend downloading the optional VB Virtual Audio Cable as well:

Here's what most people with your run of the mill mic already have:
windows setup.png

Next up, if you're only interested in video calls that force you to only 1 audio source - this will help shatter that barrier and get more. streamyard is used as an example, but many programs are like it:

basic streamyard setup.png

Next, let's say you feel limited by Voicemeeter's audio filters - they are really basic in the main window and they dive super deep with curves in the advanced hidden windows. If you're like me, you've seen how to improve your sound using OBS filters when making video. Let's tap into that:

obs dedicated setup.png

If you need help getting great sound in OBS for your mic (even cheap ones!), watch this tremendously helpful video:

Last setup is everything pieced together. You bring your multiple mixed in audio, manipulated however you want in OBS, mix them all together into one prepped source, ready to be picked up in Streamyard (and others like it):

adv obs sending to streamyard.png

BONUS SETUP - THE FRUGAL:

• don't install Voicemeeter Banana at all
  • do install VB Virtual Audio Cable
  • Accept to do your sound mixing and filtering 100% in OBS despite these tiny annoying volume sliders
  • Go to adv audio properties (triple dot button near any sound input device in the sound mixer)
  • enable "Monitor and Output" for everything you need to send to the One Single Output (so that your mic, a given piece of software, the whole windows desktop sound can be cobbled together and send to that one monitoring output)
  • go to OBS settings, audio, monitoring, select VB Audio Virtual cable as your monitoring device