Need an ATX power supply for an older case

cjsebes

Tinkerer
Oct 22, 2021
I was on FBMP and came across a huge tower that has four 5 1/2" drive bays, two floppy drive bays, and provisions for two hard drives. It came with a USB/Firewire card, Firewire card, video card, CDRW drive, RAM, and a very suitable motherboard with IDE and SATA connections. Not bad for $20.

I've wanted a behemoth like this for some time so I can build a "Stupid PC" with whatever I can fill those bays with, like cassette deck, VU meters, and any anything else I can find. LGR on YouTube has had a few that were interesting.

Unfortunately, it seems that the ATX power supply is DOA. It's a Norwood Micro ISO-p350s. Full disclosure, I know very little to nothing about PC power supplies, so I'd like a little help from the hive on which power supply I should replace this with.

I'm pretty sure it's the power supply. I hear nothing when I try and turn on the PC.
  • I tested the fuse and get continuity
  • I've also tried jumping the leads for the switch on the motherboard
  • I replaced the CMOS battery and that had no effect on it.
I'm trying to find something that will hopefully work, but it seems that most of the newer power supplies have a fan on top, which the old PS is out the back only. The case does not have a vent on top.

What say ye? What else can I provide you with to help me out?
Thanks!

Last edited:

YMK

Active Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
I'm trying to find something that will hopefully work, but it seems that most of the newer power supplies have a fan on top, which the old PS is out the back only. The case does not have a vent on top.

PSUs with fans on top/bottom will still have a rear exhaust.

As long as the fan isn't obstructed, it should work fine.

cjsebes

Tinkerer
Oct 22, 2021
PSUs with fans on top/bottom will still have a rear exhaust.

As long as the fan isn't obstructed, it should work fine.
The fan will be obstructed by that case. No vent on top. Can I install the PSU upside-down?

Oh! And I found the case I have. I'm assuming mine is older, but this is almost exactly what it looks like.

Last edited:

AvadonDragon

Tinkerer
Jan 27, 2023
Tennessee
Some cases allow you to mount the power supply upside down but if yours is nearly identical the the one in the link it won't have the screw holes in the right place for that.

cjsebes

Tinkerer
Oct 22, 2021
That looks like it will work. However, I'm being a cheap bastard and don't want to spend that much on a new power supply. This is for a retro tower I've found and want to have a little fun with. You point out that the fan is on the bottom, so seeing that I now know to look more closely for the orientation of the fan and label. Much appreciated.