Need to emulate a dial-up connection

Oct 18, 2021
Ohio, USA
thehouseofmoth.com
For part of a project I am planning I need to somehow run an app/service/hardware that allows my USB Global Village dial-up modem to *think* it's dialing up, but actually connects to a fake ISP that just takes the traffic over Ethernet.

What I have to work with:
Raspberry Pi 4b (in case that's useful)

I know, not much to work with but I figured a project such as this will require a Pi somehow. Not looking to spend a ton of money on this either so hoping it's been done before and is possible.

Cheers!

AtariYinzer

New Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
Connellsville, PA
For part of a project I am planning I need to somehow run an app/service/hardware that allows my USB Global Village dial-up modem to *think* it's dialing up, but actually connects to a fake ISP that just takes the traffic over Ethernet.

What I have to work with:
Raspberry Pi 4b (in case that's useful)

I know, not much to work with but I figured a project such as this will require a Pi somehow. Not looking to spend a ton of money on this either so hoping it's been done before and is possible.

Cheers!
Something like this might work.

Nov 4, 2021
Tucson, AZ
The dreampi would probably easiest. a Cisco/Linksys/Sipura SPA122, SPA2102, or larger model should do the job with any devices with a little configuration. The Cisco ATA 186's are "real" Cisco devices so the configuration will be different and possibly have silly Cisco license restrictions. The Pi mgetty+pppd configuration will be the same in any case.