NeXT N4006 Trinitron MegaPixel Display Repair

TristinAEvans

New Tinkerer
Feb 26, 2023
Hello All!

I'm a newbie recommended to swing by here by Steve from Mac84 on YouTube. I've got a Trinitron CRT here that was rebadged by NeXT Computer, Inc. It's essentially a Sony GDM-1632 with a 13W3 connector instead of BNC connectors. I've done a recap on the power supply board, swapped out some of the inductors since they fell off the board, & switched the IC101 and IC102 chips since their leads were tarnished to heck and back. The monitor behaves as follows: plug it in, flip the front switch and you'll hear it click on with a green light & two seconds later its off. Attempts to flip it on again will do nothing unless you wait about 30 seconds to a minute; after which it just does the same cycle again. Before I did a recap, it would stay on for about 10-15 seconds then shut off.

In both instances there was no sign of high voltage & I'm praying it's not flyback related as no replacement parts exist unless there's alternatives people know of.

I need someone who knows CRTs that's willing to repair this thing. I do not want to see it left in a coma. I've seen this exact monitor used in Radius, NCD, SUN, & HP Workstations, and all attempts to find a working twin have failed.

Any help would be much appreciated! This thing is located in Southern California just as an FYI.

Thank you!
285632437_7486036531468933_7847384589280109143_n.jpg

TristinAEvans

New Tinkerer
Feb 26, 2023
I would recommend you contact Rob Blessin at The Black Hole.
He is the worlds expert on NeXT black hardware:
I've talked to Rob about his. He cannot help. I need someone who specializes in CRT repairs.

TristinAEvans

New Tinkerer
Feb 26, 2023
@Kai Robinson - is this something Tech Knight can help with?
I'm willing to ship this thing at this point. I actually have two of these things. Broken, with the same issue. I THINK it's related to the power supply, but I don't have the technical means to confirm it. If anybody is in California, I'll drive them to be repaired. I do not care. I just would like these beasties fixed.

TristinAEvans

New Tinkerer
Feb 26, 2023
Make that 3 dead Trinitrons. I ordered a replacement deflection board for the Multiple Scan 17 thinking that it got damaged during shipping but no luck. I'm beyond annoyed at this point.

If anyone is willing to help me fix them, I'm willing to give away the NeXT MegaPixel with the square base as part of the payment. I don't need 3 of these things and I would really like one Megapixel & the multiple scan fixed so I can put them on display in my computer science classroom.

86B58C3F-7739-41D4-8AFF-C6F39AB0F32C.jpeg

dramirez

New Tinkerer
Sep 10, 2022
I got one from eBay, but haven't got time to try to fix it. (I'm in no way a CRT expert).
Mine does power on for a few seconds, LED power on green, but when there's a video signal the LED turns off inmediately.
First thing I'll try: replace all electrolytic caps.
I'll report back when I'm done.