Optional Image Upload Downsampling

phipli

Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
When uploading photos from my phone, they're usually high res, 6MB files. While I sometimes want and need this, this is usually excessive and the only reason I haven't reduced the quality is because the process is convoluted on my phone.

Is optional down sampling at upload feasable? There are advantages in this, saving server space, bandwidth (if done client side), as well as reducing the chance of accidentally capturing a legible image of your address in the reflection in a toaster in the corner of a 20MB high resolution photo...

Zoom.... Enhance...

Reactions: eric

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
I agree, I sometimes feel bad uploading a 5mb photo of mostly nothing - there is some post processing we can do - but not sure about client side. Other platforms like Discord have native clients to do that. Have you seen a forum that can do this via a browser?

phipli

Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
I agree, I sometimes feel bad uploading a 5mb photo of mostly nothing - there is some post processing we can do - but not sure about client side. Other platforms like Discord have native clients to do that. Have you seen a forum that can do this via a browser?
I know Imagemagick can do it on the linux command line, is how I've implemented resizing on my own stuff previously, but that is LAN / embedded bodging stuff. @Kai Robinson mentioned that it might just be a "xenforo setting".