Performa 275 (CCII) w/ LC 550 board - Distorted sound in one channel

callanbrown

New Tinkerer
May 10, 2022
Hi folks,

I have a Performa 275 (ie Japanese Color Classic II) but I think it's actually an LC 550 motherboard inside, owing to the onboard VRAM being 512KB (I'm assuming this because I get "thousands of colors" with nothing in the extra VRAM slot).

Anyway, I turned the machine on this morning and one of the two channels (the one connected to the speaker output) is extremely distorted and is pulling in electrical noise as well. When I plug in speakers, one channel is fine but the other is heavily distorted like it's majorly clipping. Board has been recapped and I tried resoldering the '0129 (but I didn't remove/clean under it).

I checked this back to the 129 chip to verify that indeed the audio coming from the chip is already distorted, so it doesn't seem to be related to the few components after the chip.

Is the problem likely the 343S0129? Searching around I'm not getting many hits on distorted audio (vs no or low audio).

callanbrown

New Tinkerer
May 10, 2022
I disconnected the speaker to check, issue remains on line out. Just now I even tried removing the amp from the analog board to see if that was feeding back somehow but no luck.

callanbrown

New Tinkerer
May 10, 2022
When I recapped the board nothing was yet leaking, I suppose I'll eventually remove the '0129 to check. I would be surprised since the issue just popped up like yesterday.

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
Hmmm okay now maybe a break right before a pad, pads before a trace entered have a dip liek a mini ditch are you positive everything around that chip is okay?

callanbrown

New Tinkerer
May 10, 2022
Again thanks for your offer to help, but I am an Electrical Engineer and fix arcade boards on YouTube etc (channel 74XX), I have done all the usual checks. Just really hoping someone can say whether or not swapping the 0129 might have a chance of fixing it or not.

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
Again thanks for your offer to help, but I am an Electrical Engineer and fix arcade boards on YouTube etc (channel 74XX), I have done all the usual checks. Just really hoping someone can say whether or not swapping the 0129 might have a chance of fixing it or not.
It’s not uncommon so it might do you have any spares or do you need to hunt one down?

callanbrown

New Tinkerer
May 10, 2022
Yes I'm going to have to find a replacement. It looks like a number of LC boards has them so maybe someone has an otherwise dead board I could scoop one from.

Someone in another thread mentioned they were able to buy some from somewhere so maybe I'll send them a PM.

callanbrown

New Tinkerer
May 10, 2022
Lol, I'm afraid thats not helpful. I too can google the part name and find a hundred of these websites, they do not actually have these chips.

callanbrown

New Tinkerer
May 10, 2022
Follow up! Bought a cheap mobo for a Quadra 630 that had the 343S0129 chip. Swapped it in, problem fixed!

Let it be known a failure mode for this chip is distortion.