PowerBook 3400 siren song

Elemenoh

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
Bay Area
I recently got a PowerBook 3400 that would chime, then chirp and make some pretty crazy siren type sounds. The sound would go away and the screen would light up if I disconnected the hard drive. I assumed not enough power was getting to the HDD, so recapped the DC-board and MLB (just three caps) but it made no difference. I installed another hard drive and it booted just fine. I then gave the original drive a good whack on a desk and reinstalled it. It then booted just fine. So something must have been stuck inside the old drive.

Video of the original symptom here.

• Haha
Reactions: helmetguy

helmetguy

New Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2024
You weren't kidding at all, it sounded like it was trying to pull you over for speeding!!!

It's amazing how utterly broken these old drives can sound, but still be operational. I have one that makes several "CLONK" sounds before happily booting OS8.6.

Mac84

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 4, 2021
New Jersey, USA
www.mac84.net
I always assumed this was some weird sound coming out of the speaker because of sad caps or something. My PB 3400 does the same thing, but I never bothered to try taking out the hard drive. Now I'll have to do this! :)

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
It's a sound made by the hard drive's voice coil. Not sure if it's the heads trying to free themselves, or if it's a warning tone that something's wrong. It seems to be specific to IBM Travelstar drives whatever the case may be.