PowerMac G3 Blue and White Chime no video now no chime

KHEMISANTOS

New Tinkerer
Oct 12, 2022
Hi all,

have a powermac g3 blue and white 450MHz DVD. It’s been sitting since I moved decided to get back into the hobby. It did boot into OS 9 when right before I moved it’s been sitting for about 2 yrs. It chimed no display switched displayed just to be sure. Still chimed popped the open side pervious me removed the pram battery grab one that says it’s good. Chimed removed all ram except one stick chime no video. Switched ram stick same issue. Reseated video card no chime now no keyboard response. Pulled pram battery no chime.
Any thoughts on next steps?

also could I be using the wrong pram battery I put in a tadiran tl 5151

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
I'd just remove the battery - no need to add a bomb that could go off once you forget about it.

Easy things to try:
Push the reset button on the motherboard
Reset the PRAM (even if it's been sitting without a battery)
Remove and re-seat the video card
Remove any other PCI cards
Disconnect the HDD

Keep trying to narrow down the component that may be causing the issue.

Reactions: KHEMISANTOS

KHEMISANTOS

New Tinkerer
Oct 12, 2022
I'd just remove the battery - no need to add a bomb that could go off once you forget about it.

Easy things to try:
Push the reset button on the motherboard
Reset the PRAM (even if it's been sitting without a battery)
Remove and re-seat the video card
Remove any other PCI cards
Disconnect the HDD

Keep trying to narrow down the component that may be causing the issue.
Thanks Eric. I took it to down to a known good CDROM and ram. Reseated video card processor no change I don’t have an extra PCI video card might try and find a decent priced one online or set this one aside move on to another one and if I go to a swap meet try and find a video card.
I was curious about the Pram battery as I remember some pre g3 beiges won’t boot or have issues of battery is dead or not providing power. Vaguely remember an issue with a 6100 want sure I’d the G3 B&W would act odd without one

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
Did you try resetting the pram? Option, Command, P, and R keys right after power - even without video. Keep holding them down and let it chime 4-5 times and see if that resolves it.

Reactions: KHEMISANTOS

KHEMISANTOS

New Tinkerer
Oct 12, 2022
Did you try resetting the pram? Option, Command, P, and R keys right after power - even without video. Keep holding them down and let it chime 4-5 times and see if that resolves it.
I did when I took out the graphics card and reseated it no chime and wouldn’t do pram reseated it again no change.