Powermac G4 MDD issues…

The Mac Guy

New Tinkerer
Aug 11, 2022
Can someone tell my why my powermac G4 won't boot into open firmware, from a disc, into the boot picker, or target disc mode. Every time I try these key combos the screen goes black and it hasn't displayed anything since.

It doesn’t chime at all, the power button light goes out right after pressing it, and the fans ramp up to full blast after 5-10 seconds.

Here’s a list of stuff I’ve tried:

-removing/replacing drives
-reseating/replacing ram
-booting into open firmware
-booting from a CD
-resetting the PRAM/NVRAM/PMU
-Reseating the CPU
-cleaning all of the confections
-reseating both GPUs I have installed into the computer

I am using an ATI Rage128 from a powermac G3 since I don’t have a DVI or ADC monitor, I’ve been told that this GPU should work fine.

The PRAM battery was removed when I got it, and the exterior and interior of the machine are in amazing condition, just very dusty

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated as I’ve always wanted one of these for my collection

Attachments

• 72966965577__AC46BB0F-CF4B-44DB-8614-3A15C94D1432.MOV
    3 MB · Views: 0

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
Is the AGP slot populated with a card at this time, or are you just using the PCI Rage 128? I doubt that's your issue, but I do know that my old MDD dual 1.25 worked fine last summer with the Rage 128 Pro from my G4 Digital Audio. Said machine is now owned by @xenocide21.

The Mac Guy

New Tinkerer
Aug 11, 2022
Is the AGP slot populated with a card at this time, or are you just using the PCI Rage 128? I doubt that's your issue, but I do know that my old MDD dual 1.25 worked fine last summer with the Rage 128 Pro from my G4 Digital Audio. Said machine is now owned by @xenocide21.
The AGP slot is populated with the original video card, and the rage128 is one of the PCI slots