Proper disposal of laptop batteries?

Oct 15, 2021
I have a stack of PowerBook 500 series batteries… all dead.

What’s the best way to dispose of them in an environmentlay responsible way?

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
too add on to your question. we should be doing the same thing for our clock batteries? (i assume its bad to throw them in the trash)

Batteries+ might take them. maybe your local landfill or something has a spot a way to take them.
But i would be interested if other people who know from first hand experience.

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Best Buy has battery recycling bins at each of their stores.

[[Collection bins at every Best Buy big box store make it easy to conveniently dispose of rechargeable batteries commonly found in laptops, digital cameras, game consoles, MP3 players, tablets and phones. These include battery backups (UPS), and button, cellphone, laptop and rechargeables.Once the batteries are collected from Best Buy stores, Call2Recycle sends them to its providers for sorting by type and chemistry. From there, they are then moved on to reputable processors. Recovered materials can be used in new products, such as stainless steel eating utensils and golf clubs, as well as new batteries.]]

Target has a recycling center in the front of their stores.

[[Electronics waste (e.g., mobile phones, small electronic devices, media devices and ink cartridges) is collected by Target’s vendor who resells some product for reuse or refurbishing and recycles the rest. Anything that can't be reused is recycled by certified companies that maximize the recovery of the materials. Additionally, we assure you that all personal data is wiped from all devices or the device is destroyed so data is unrecoverable and our vendor provides proof of data destruction.]]

I think either would be suitable recycling drop off spots for your dead batteries.

Oct 15, 2021

[[Collection bins at every Best Buy big box store make it easy to conveniently dispose of rechargeable batteries commonly found in laptops, digital cameras, game consoles, MP3 players, tablets and phones. These include battery backups (UPS), and button, cellphone, laptop and rechargeables.Once the batteries are collected from Best Buy stores, Call2Recycle sends them to its providers for sorting by type and chemistry. From there, they are then moved on to reputable processors. Recovered materials can be used in new products, such as stainless steel eating utensils and golf clubs, as well as new batteries.]]

[[Electronics waste (e.g., mobile phones, small electronic devices, media devices and ink cartridges) is collected by Target’s vendor who resells some product for reuse or refurbishing and recycles the rest. Anything that can't be reused is recycled by certified companies that maximize the recovery of the materials. Additionally, we assure you that all personal data is wiped from all devices or the device is destroyed so data is unrecoverable and our vendor provides proof of data destruction.]]

I think either would be suitable recycling drop off spots for your dead batteries.

Our Best Buy took out their collection bins :(

MacAttack

New Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021

Most all Best Buy's, including the one I work in, took out their recycle bin in the vestibule. The reason was because people cannot be trusted to not mix wires, batteries, and plastic bags. We kept having to separate those things and it was too expensive to keep doing. So now we only take small electronics. No batteries, lightbulbs, and printer ink cartridges anymore. You can blame the people who cannot read what goes in what hole for the reason why the bins are no longer there.