Prototype Motorola StarMax

• Poll - Extending the term length of the board
    The poll has now closed and the results are now available here.

GVD

New Tinkerer
Dec 23, 2021
Hello all,

This is my first post on Tinker Different. I usually use the handle- ww2_1943 (it goes back to when I was a WW2 obsessed teen lol)- on other forums. I figured it was time for a break from the past. Anyway, I would like to introduce you to my Motorola StarMax prototype/ pre-production model.

Backstory- Around 2008 I worked in a sales job and worked with someone who was a “retired” (forced retirement) Motorola Computer Group employee. He initially worked for another company that was acquired by Motorola (the name escapes me). We remain in touch until this day and over the summer I told him about my interest in vintage computers and how I picked up an iBook. I then asked him if he remembered the StarMax. His reply was, “I have two of them, do you want one?” Of course I said yes. These computers were rescued from the dumpster when his office shut down in the early 2000s. He told me that this StarMax is a prototype. It was used by his office to demonstrate the StarMax to potential customers and run Mac specific programs. He is a dyed in the wool PC guy and claimed this computer was very buggy. To be honest, I have not had any issues with it aside from not being able to get a CD-ROM drive to work when a SSD is connected. It will only work with the original HDD.

Details- This is the DT model or Desk Top. The badge on the front calls it a 4000/160 DT. 160 is supposed to refer to the processor speed. This computer actually has a 200mhz processor. Just about everything on this looks stock which makes me wonder if this is more of a pre-production model as opposed to a prototype. However, it is clearly not a retail unit as it lacks any FCC or information label. On the side of the case is a label that reads “ADT-4200” which I think identifies this as a 4000/200- 200mhz model. The inside appears to be the same as a regular production model including the logic board. However, there is a label on the 1.27GB drive that reads “MAC OS A5 REV 4.”

The HDD has Mac OS 8.1 on it. The computer was used by my former co-workers daughter in the 2000s and had a lot of files and programs that you would expect a teenager in the early 2000s to use! The coolest thing that the hard drive has is a Motorola Icon for the HD on the desktop. Other than that, I don’t think there is really anything on there that relates to this being a prototype.

Enjoy the photos and let me know if you have any questions.
Faceplate .jpeg
Front .jpeg
IMG_0711.jpg
Back.jpeg
Inside .jpeg
IMG_0712.jpg
Ports close up.jpeg
StarMax HD.jpeg