Put in some new carpet & baseboard

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
In my infinite wisdom, I forgot to take a before picture. With that being said, we finally got around to the gold shag carpet a’la 1985 in the down stairs play/TV room. I also chose a bigger baseboard which I like. The stuff that was in there was tiny. I’m in the process of caulking the joint lines & top edge as the walls are about as square as a noodle after 50 years but everything is coming together nicely.
IMG_0554.jpeg

IMG_0553.jpeg

I came in through the front window with the rolls. I finally got the ok to throw away the old sectional we had. I was going to do it in between pulling the old carpet up and laying the new carpet down but one miscommunication later and here I was dismembering a fat ugly over sized sectional that won’t go out without damaging my walls on my new carpet/pad. I got it out the front window in pieces post utility saw carnage and in my truck ready for the dump but what a PITA that was lol. The dust from that disassembling cleaned up really well with the vacuum. Anyhow the room is looking very nice. Happy about this as well so I can turn my attention to the most upstairs room (tri-level home.).

I like the cool gray berber carpet. With 3 little boys, we’ll drop a 10x12 room rug on there and this space should wear pretty well. Oh yeah we get to buy new furniture which is always fun too. One thing is for sure, I’ll make sure it fits either through that window or down the stairs w/o rubbing and damaging my walls. When we bought this place, the realtor gave us a sectional to fill the room. On the way in, it scratched the walls as it had these fluted arm parts that just would not fit the 1970s standard width stair and hallways. There was a right angle left hand turn that you could not negotiate without gouging the wall. I should have said NO that's ok, but alas I am a nice guy and pushed through. Repairing walls is about my least favorite thing to do, so when I finally got the OK to ditch that thing, I made up in my mind that I would hack it apart LOL and take it through the window which is exactly what I did. Anyways, glad its done. That was a lot of work. I will eventually put this same berber carpet in the guest bedroom and my office/man cave. Its very cost-effective per square foot (leaves more $$$ for premium pad), easy to lay down, wears well and looks great.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volvo242GT