Quadra 650 drive chassis

jimfrob

New Tinkerer
Mar 21, 2023
One of the many items I got from Computer Reset was a gutted (and battery bombed) Quadra 650. All that was left was the case and the logic board. I'm hoping to get it going one day, but the lack of a drive chassis makes to potential installation of a floppy drive challenging. Does anyone know of a 3D model of this that could be printed? Or does someone have one of these that could be modeled?

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
Are you talking about the platform that the hard drive and floppy drive sit onto, or the metal sled that holds the floppy drive itself? Even though the Q650 has the "fish lips" floppy disk slot, you can use a Sony MP-F75W with the Mac SE/II style bracket in it. The only issue is that you might find it hard to insert a paperclip to eject a disk manually.

jimfrob

New Tinkerer
Mar 21, 2023
Mainly I’m talking about the platform that carries all the drives. Absolutely all the innards except the logic board had been previously pilfered (even the CPU and SIMMs). I could probably get by without a floppy drive, but it would be nice to have the option. And I’m not looking to spend much if anything on this since the battery corrosion had been going for years and may have gotten into the on-board memory chips. I've not had occasion to test the board yet because there's no power supply. I could borrow the VRAM and old CPU off my Performa 476 to test it, but power is the main concern for testing. I've been looking at possible solutions for that as well.

Last edited:

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
Ok, so, yeah, pretty much need the whole shebang. A IIcx, ci, or Q700 power supply will work in a pinch. Might not have enough oomph to run the CD-ROM drive, as well as a hard drive, floppy drive, etc, but will at least let you test the board out to see if it works.

Are you also on the 68kMLA forums? If so, and your board is shot, get in touch with AppaloosaMac over there. He has a few Quadra 800 machines that he's thinking about parting out. Am buying a board from one of those for myself. After addition of a power LED, it'll be recognized as a Quadra 650 board.

jimfrob

New Tinkerer
Mar 21, 2023
I'm halfway done converting a spare ATX PSU to the 10-pin layout on this board. The only rail that doesn't really have enough oomph is the -12V, but I've read that's only for some Nubus cards. I'm not currently planning on having any cards in it at all. But it seems I need to build an inverter circuit for soft power with the PSU I chose because it doesn't have a power switch.

jimfrob

New Tinkerer
Mar 21, 2023
Holy smokes, it works! I borrowed the VRAM and the LC040 from my Performa for testing. The picture is a bit green. Not sure what to make of that. But it boots from an external SCSI device (ZIP 100 in this case) and the keyboard and mouse work, too. Now I guess it's time to get the parts I'm missing such as the drive chassis that was the start of this discussion. I'd really rather just print one if anyone has a model of it or knows where to find the model (it's not on thingiverse).

Attachments

• IMG_2950.jpeg
    IMG_2950.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 44

jimfrob

New Tinkerer
Mar 21, 2023
I think it may have been exactly what I thought it was at first: a shoddy connection on the VGA. The green was showing up on the same display I use for the Performa with no issues at all. Removing the VGA adapter and then reconnecting to a similar HP display fixed the color issue. Now I’m having fun trying to install an OS with a 25MHz 040 running at this system’s 33 MHz. It’s not very happy about it.

jimfrob

New Tinkerer
Mar 21, 2023
I think it may have been exactly what I thought it was at first: a shoddy connection on the VGA. The green was showing up on the same display I use for the Performa with no issues at all. Removing the VGA adapter and then reconnecting to a similar HP display fixed the color issue. Now I’m having fun trying to install an OS with a 25MHz 040 running at this system’s 33 MHz. It’s not very happy about it.
OK, so it wasn’t a shoddy connection. Hooking it up to yet another display I get green again. So the compatibility is a bit hit & miss. Oh well.

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
I haven't tried this with mine, but try turning on 1,4,6, and 7 on your adapter. Possibly that it might work fine. One of the members at the 68kMLA forums did that while trying to diagnose non-working video on his IIci. Started working perfectly.

Reactions: retr01

jimfrob

New Tinkerer
Mar 21, 2023
The adapter I was using is set with 1367 and works perfectly with my Performa 476. It just doesn't play nice with the Quadra 650 on the same displays. I'm now using an adapter with no switches at all. I haven't tried that adapter on the displays that were having issues. I'm still hoping someone will happen across this thread that has a 3D model of the drive chassis. I'm about to start designing a poor replacement that will at least be good enough to mount a floppy drive. None of the SCSI CD/DVD drives I have will mount a CD in MacOS 8, so I'm going to skip the CD drive for now.

jimfrob

New Tinkerer
Mar 21, 2023
The original part would certainly be preferable to my as yet unfinished poor replacement.