QuickTake 150… black photos

Oct 15, 2021
I recently picked up a QuickTake 150 and it only takes black photos. If you zoom in on the photos, they all have inform compression noise… as if the sensor is just not actually capturing anything.

Any advice?

Drake

TinkerDifferent Board Vice-President 2023
Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
I'm unfamiliar with the quicktake itself so I am unsure of settings the user can set.
Do you have control of ISO, Shutter speed, aperture or exposure bracketing?

If it is just a point and click automatic camera my suggestion would be photographing something VERY bright, point it directly at a lamp for example.
If you can make out any light source from that image but it is STILL faint it's more than likely the sensor is dying/dead.

I suspect the Quicktake has no mechanical elements to the shutter etc. if so that eliminates any suspicions for mirrors, aperture blades etc

Stephen

BetterBit
Staff member
Founder
Sep 5, 2021
San Francisco
They have a handful of small electrolytic capacitors inside. I had mine open while I was investigating a stint of uncooperative connectivity which resolved itself when I used the correct drivers (go figure).

Seems unlikely but if you're sure the shutter has been slid out of the way (e.g., broken mechanical connection) and there aren't any other accessories causing an issue then it may be worth opening yours up — bear in mind, they're tricky to open.

Oct 15, 2021
They have a handful of small electrolytic capacitors inside. I had mine open while I was investigating a stint of uncooperative connectivity which resolved itself when I used the correct drivers (go figure).

Seems unlikely but if you're sure the shutter has been slid out of the way (e.g., broken mechanical connection) and there aren't any other accessories causing an issue then it may be worth opening yours up — bear in mind, they're tricky to open.

Any tips of getting one open?