Recovery Mode background?

indigo_k

New Tinkerer
Oct 13, 2023
Hey, gang - I'm trying to locate this asset on my computer, it's part of the Recovery Mode OS, so I know it's gotta be stored somewhere?

recovery-pattern.png

indigo_k

New Tinkerer
Oct 13, 2023
Try looking for /System/Library/CoreServices/DefaultDesktop

Or use a utility like EasyFind to search for file name "linen"
The DefaultDesktop I have is the photo of a sand dune that comes up when I'm logging in after a restart. Good to know I can change that! But not what I'm looking for. And sadly the search for 'Linen' didn't turn up anything either. Good suggestion, though!

misterg33

New Tinkerer
Oct 10, 2022
The DefaultDesktop I have is the photo of a sand dune that comes up when I'm logging in after a restart. Good to know I can change that! But not what I'm looking for. And sadly the search for 'Linen' didn't turn up anything either. Good suggestion, though!
Try mounting the Recovery partition (since that's where you saw it) and look in the same places suggested, but on that partition.

I'm not sure which OS you're using, but if it's an oldie, you can also try this method to mount the Recovery partition on older OS versions:

Alternatively, if you have a disk image of the OS Installer, you can maybe use EasyFind to locate it on that mounted image by searching for "linen" including package contents and invisible files.

Reactions: indigo_k

alexADB

Tinkerer
Jun 22, 2023
Bavaria
Is it this image?

Found another one

Got the last one from here:

More variations there

Reactions: indigo_k

indigo_k

New Tinkerer
Oct 13, 2023
Try mounting the Recovery partition (since that's where you saw it) and look in the same places suggested, but on that partition.

I'm not sure which OS you're using, but if it's an oldie, you can also try this method to mount the Recovery partition on older OS versions:

Alternatively, if you have a disk image of the OS Installer, you can maybe use EasyFind to locate it on that mounted image by searching for "linen" including package contents and invisible files.
Yeah, so what I ended up trying was relaunching Recovery Mode, and using Disk Utility to save an image of the partition and saved that to my hard drive. Then I poked around all through there but still couldn't find it. The interface in Recovery Mode suggests there might be an app somewhere titled OSX Utilities, and this image might be part of that bundle, but still can't find that on the image.

@alexADB: Actually yeah! Those might be the ones I'm looking for. And even if not, they'll serve as a decent basis. Thanks!