Reliability of safety filter caps: RIFA vs. WIMA

MacMaster

New Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
I recently acquired an Apple IIe manufactured in 1985. Expecting to need replace the RIFA caps in the power supply as to prevent the notorious puff of smoke, I opened up the DynaComp (606-5001) power supply and found WIMA MKS-4 caps instead of RIFA caps. These capacitors are encapsulated in solid red potting instead of the translucent yellow RIFA potting.

I haven't been able to find any mentions of WIMA branded capacitors being used in these power supplies and there is no indication that this power supply had been worked on (one of the screws holding in the PS was pretty well fused to the bottom of the case). I suppose it is possible some manufacturing runs simply used what they had available.

So I am wondering if anyone else has come across these in Apple IIe power supplies and if they have a better or worse reputation compared with RIFA caps. From my understanding the failure point with RIFAs were the epoxy they used for encapsulation was prone to cracking which compromised the component exposing it to air/humidity. The solid red epoxy on the WIMA caps in my power supply look pristine and everything is currently working fine.

AndyDiags

Tinkerer
Dec 18, 2021
The WIMA MKS-4 is a metallized polyester (PET) capacitor, with an operational lifetime of > 300,000 hours.
The RIFA is a metallized paper capacitor. They don't state their lifespan on the spec.

As you mentioned, the RIFA caps are well known to degrade and fail over time, so it definitely has a worse reputation. The WIMA seem pretty reliable as there doesn't seem to be any commonly reported failures on them.

The 605-5001 was the 2nd generation of the Apple II power supplies made in the US, after this one they switched and started using Astec's PS made in Hong Kong. A quick google of this power supply (here) shows that they all seemed to use the same WIMA caps . Probably no mention of these because it rarely fails.

Reactions: MacMaster and eric

wottle

Active Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
So have people had luck using these? Are they rated the same as the RIFAs (X1)? Trying to figure out what would be best to replace the 9 RIFA caps in a ProFile drive's power supply.

btb

New Tinkerer
Jan 21, 2023
Sometimes they have WIMA MP-3 capacitors - these are metallized paper, and will fail exactly like the RIFA caps do.

Last edited: