Retirement

RetroViator

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
retroviator.com
When I first jumped into retro computing, I started with a lovely SE/30 acquired through eBay. I always loved the SE/30 and all 80s and early 90s Macs, but I wasn't exposed to Apple until college, and I figured my hobby would focus primarily on my grade school nostalgia for CP/M and early DOS computers. However, on my first foray into Facebook Marketplace, I stumbled across a post from a family needing to downsize in advance of retirement. Seven computers is a fine haul, but I really enjoyed the great collection of software and manuals. Some of the computers were obtained from the seller's employer when rotated out, but others had been family mainstays.

IMG_0688 (1).jpeg

This tightened my hobby's focus on Apple, built on my experience supporting several hundred on a college campus from '92 to '98.

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
Wow, what a neat haul with a great story. That Apple branded joystick caught my eye - never seen one of those before! :D
Thats a flight stick pro with an Apple sticker on it(so not Apple branded). I got one new for Christmas one year. (or was it my birthday?) i was VERY excited for it. but i basically only had like 1 or 2 games to play with it.

i remember playing rebel assault with it lots.

the software for it allows you to set up some things (like buttons mapped to what keys, or does the joystick move the mouse and how). one neat thing isyou can have it play a sound when launching a specific game.
So i would have a sound clip of yoda saying "do or do not, there is no try" for Rebel Assault. it really would put me in the right mood.

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
I have that conversation with myself all of the time. I stepped away from the cess pool that is fartbarf years ago and haven't looked back, but their market place is a legitimately useful and huge sales net, so it's sometimes hard to intentionally limit my ability to fish. Still, fartbarf and I do not align, and as such I intentionally choose not to use them. Speech matters and where we put our dollars, time and effort matters. Fartbarf doesn't get any of mine.

Reactions: Patrick

atariorbit

Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
Found my Lisa 2/5 on FBM- smooth pickup and transaction, never would have happened on eBay. Worth it just for the marketplace. You don't even have to login to view the items.

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
craigslist has worked for me. although recently it seems like the prices have gotten a bit crazy.
Always great to just because to pick something up. vs rolling dice on shipping

edit: sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread on whats actually important.
All the macs, books, and software finding a home and not being thrown out! way cool

Last edited:
Reactions: RetroViator

RetroViator

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
retroviator.com
comments like these make me think i should join facebook just for the marketplace.

But in the end, i prolly do not need even more things.
I left Facebook years ago, and never looked back… until I realized it was a decent place to find local pick ups.

Now, I’ve created a special account for only two things: prowl around the Marketplace and check out vintage computer groups.

RetroViator

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
retroviator.com
Do you know what ROM the IIgs is ?
It is a ROM3. If interested, I wrote a blog post on that IIGS awhile back.

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
The stick accompanied the IIGS. It looks like it was a big part of someone’s gaming life.
i was thinking about this one

1636484573453.png

did that come with the IIGS ? I used mine a Q610. lots of memories.
its adb. so it could work on the IIGS i just didn't know there was software support for it.

RetroViator

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
retroviator.com
i was thinking about this one

View attachment 851

did that come with the IIGS ? I used mine a Q610. lots of memories.
its adb. so it could work on the IIGS i just didn't know there was software support for it.

You're right! I looked at the games that accompanied these computers, and the flight games (such as Rebel Assault, Out of the Sun, and WWII Attacks) were for the Mac. The Flight stick Pro must have come along with the Macintosh IIsi (which came with a Daystar 601 accelerator) or the Performa 630CD. (The new PPCs Macs were from the gentlemen's school where he taught.)

It's obvious now the IIGS used the CH Mach II with the game port connector.

Thanks for setting me straight! :)