Retr0bright findings

yomatiase

New Tinkerer
Apr 18, 2022
I've been trying retr0bright for some devices now.
I live in a building in a city with a balcony, but with no direct sunlight.
This are my findings

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Cream hydrogen peroxide 40vol

For keys and small parts I submerged them in a tupper full of cream and wrap it with kitchen self-adhesive film for 48 to 72hs indoors.
Excellent results

For a mac plus case, I painted it with cream and wrap it with kitchen self-adhesive film, put it in my balcony for about 48hs hours.
Excellent results

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Water diluted Cream hydrogen peroxide 40vol

When I only found cream HP and have a big piece of plastic that I wanted to submerge, and I didn't have enough so I diluted the HP with H20 aprox 50/50.
No results

Hydrogen peroxide 200vol

I found online HP with this concentration. I was warned that it is a hazard and dangerous to manipulate. Always all body protection. It is very flammable too.
(40vol = 10%, - 200vol = 50%)

I diluted 1 part HP 5 parts H20.
Again, put it on may balcony no direct sunlight.
I tried in the summer 30°C and on winter 8°C (mostly clouded) for aprox 72hs.
Excellent results

wottle

Active Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
Thanks for sharing! I’m in a similar situation and will definitely try hydrogen peroxide cream and cling film on the balcony without direct sunlight.
Be very careful with this technique. Certainly don't allow direct sunlight to hit it or you will likely get marbling. I build a UV light box from a plastic bin lined with UV LED light strips and I do it overnight. I typically leave it in for 10-14 hours.

I'm not sure if the heat or the intense sunlight (or both) were the problem, but I have had bad results with peroxide creme and plastic wrap outdoors. Too much, too fast, and the wrinkles in the plastic wrap likely intensify the UV and heat on certain areas.

Reactions: misterg33

misterg33

New Tinkerer
Oct 10, 2022
Be very careful with this technique. Certainly don't allow direct sunlight to hit it or you will likely get marbling. I build a UV light box from a plastic bin lined with UV LED light strips and I do it overnight. I typically leave it in for 10-14 hours.

I'm not sure if the heat or the intense sunlight (or both) were the problem, but I have had bad results with peroxide creme and plastic wrap outdoors. Too much, too fast, and the wrinkles in the plastic wrap likely intensify the UV and heat on certain areas.
I have to agree. I ruined a Mac case using this method. Came out marbled. Submersive method seems to work better.

Also, don't forget to remove your rainbow apple logo before retrobrighting, or it can come out "pastel" when finished.

Reactions: alexADB

RetroTechGuy

New Tinkerer
Feb 25, 2023
www.youtube.com
I have to agree. I ruined a Mac case using this method. Came out marbled. Submersive method seems to work better.

Also, don't forget to remove your rainbow apple logo before retrobrighting, or it can come out "pastel" when finished.
Thanks, yes I know to be careful. I have some experience with this but not so much without direct sunlight.