Retro Apple Programmers/Developers Association

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Well, @winters, the organization isn't around nowadays. In this thread, starting at post #15, @BFEXTU told me about that organization and some of his experiences back in the day. I suggested we could revive that nowadays and add "Retro." This new thread is to start talking about it and vintage Apple programming development and see where it leads us.

I am waiting for the mods to move some of @BFEXTU and mine posts to here. I was told that @Kai Robinson could do that.

Reactions: Eric's Edge

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
I'm pretty set on a specific era of retro Mac programming.

Black and white compact macs targetting mostly 512x342 in 1-bit color depth field

BUT

-must not crash if a more recent machine is used
-System 7.5.5 is the most recent that I target
-When possible and not too feature rich, System 1.1 on a 400k MFS disk should run my stuff
-must gracefully center the image if a higher res is used
-must deal with color depth field if it's detected but still use 1-bit gfx data
-must deal with gracefully using graceful detection routines
-great if a Mac128 runs it, but not a big deal if not.
-great if a Mac512 runs it, it should in theory but I don't own one.
-Mac Plus is the natural main target that I can easily test out on real metal

For these reasons and because I LOATHE spending/wasting time learning how to set up new dev environments, I'm settled on Symantec THINK C 6.0. I know CodeWarrior has a lot more fans and that's fine for Sys7/8 color programming, but it ADDS hurdles for my early mac targets.

Eric's Edge

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Hello fellow programmers! As some of you know, I'm working on a HyperCard authoring and programming series on YouTube. I've also recently started working on a project for installation, administration, and development of/in A/UX. The sysadmin thing isn't in my wheelhouse and will take some time. If anyone is interested in collaborating let me know.

Reactions: Cashed

Crutch

Tinkerer
Jul 10, 2022
Chicago
I’m in for any and all discussion of retro Mac programming. Like @Mu0n i prefer THINK C 6 with assorted (Symantec) C++ and assembler, and mostly the System 6-7 era (in practice I run 7.5.5).

Eric's Edge

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
I’m in for any and all discussion of retro Mac programming. Like @Mu0n i prefer THINK C 6 with assorted (Symantec) C++ and assembler, and mostly the System 6-7 era (in practice I run 7.5.5).
Think C is on my "to do" list. I like the idea of perusing multiple areas so I can switch back and forth. The HyperCard thing is going to take a couple of years to do.

Reactions: retr01