Rocket Test

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
If I had a Radius Rocket to test out before I decide to sell it, what would be the best combo of OS and machine?

I have a IIfx, a Q700, and a IIci that I could use as a testbed.

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
I see posts elsewhere that the Rocket will only work in a IIfx with less than 32GB of RAM, and only in 24 bit mode. Also, it seems that System 7.1 is the limit for the Rocket. I guess I'll haul out the IIci since I don't want to pull RAM from the IIfx.

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Sounds like a plan. Are you testing under RocketWare, RocketShare or both? ISTR that you can only run it under RocketShare on the IIfx?

I was under the impression that the IIfs had a hard 1GB memory ceiling? ;)

Last edited:

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
Sounds like a plan. Are you testing under RocketWare, RocketShare or both? ISTR that you can only run it under RocketShare on the IIfx?

I was under the impression that the IIfs had a hard 1GB memory ceiling? ;)

Sorry 32MB of RAM. :)

I have Rocketshare software disks that came with the card.

I put the Rocket in my IICi that is running System 6. It seems the software I have must be for System 7 since it put a few extensions in the System folder just sitting around and there are no control panels etc. visible. I'll find a BlueSCSI and make a System 7 disk and try that instead.

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
"IIfs" oopsie, my bad on that typo too. :)

You do have a Rocket33/25 and not the 40MHz RocketShare only version, no? If RocketShare disks shipped with the card as opposed to RocketWare, that'd indicate the latter and no joy on acceleration under RocketWare nor support for System 6..

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
It's the Rocket 33Mhz. I upped the OS on the IIci to System 7, and re-installed the RocketShare software I have (1.3.1) Everything came up roses!

Now to decide if I'm going to keep it or not... If there's any interest out there, let me know.

Rocket_33.jpeg

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Cool, I wonder if you can have the IIci running under System 6 and have the Rocket boot into System 7 from its disk? Works the other way around with Rocket in NuBus PPC booting into System 7 with its host running OS 8.x IIRC.