SCSI id# set problems.

Brin

New Tinkerer
Sep 22, 2023
Hi any one, I'm trying to set my Blue SCSI V2 to address 0. It defaults to 1 even with "HD00_512 80 MB.HDA". The only thing that I could find in directions I'm doing different is using a 128mb micro sd. I'm trying to verify it on P2 400 box with an Adaptec 1520B ISA card. I don't have to go to windows it shows up on the cards utility as device 1 and never shows as a drive D as the bios message says. EZSCSI shows it but says it is not formatted. I will be trying to use it in a vintage Kodak camera that only has wires at its board on the 40pin wire and nothing on the config connector. .....Just rechecked the config and found I was wrong on address. With no wires on any pins I assumed it was sit as all held high. Like the drive documents state for the signal/data wires. as these went to the computers normally, were they set by the computer controller boards? Or what do I do to make the HDA file have seven as a choice as Disc Jockey does not let you choose that? Assuming if the Go Drive with those not connected was sitting with the 3 pins sitting High. Or if not connected the cameras controller circuits just see three Set low pins as in address 7.

Last edited:

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
Defaulting to 1 sounds like it's falling back to "RAW" mode because it couldn't find an image on the SD card. Could you please go through the "What to try first" section of the troubleshooting guide. Also a 128mb SD card is likely very old and probably wont be able to even keep up with 5 or 10MB/sec scsi - consider looking for a U1 rated or better if speed is a concern.

If none of that resolves your issue please include any log.txt or err.txt that was created on the root of your SD card so we can debug further.

Brin

New Tinkerer
Sep 22, 2023
Thanks Eric, I found a 32gig HC micro card in my stuff. The original drive would have been 512 sectors. The cards made usable usable emulated drives with Disc Jockey. I pasted and read a file on windows 7 and xp. Ubuntu wants to format them and wont mount them automatically. More not having an editor to read HDA file in Linux. The camera is more like a SCSI device like a drive controller that reads one drive.I can use a db 25 adapter on the cameras db 25 port and and get full function like it was a Back Pack Hitch Hiker removable drive that was compatible for both windows and Apple computers in the 90's.
Blinking lights show bus scan, selection data read release of the Busy when the picture is stored. Also the picture count advances on the camera. So I know your' device will work. Strangely the Blue pill wont work on same connector.( other issue, no numbers on chip under a sticker, maybe a fake chip}. I'll try again with the HC card and try to save a log. Can't get the pictures off Blue SCSI after taken as Twain software wont find raw files. Thanks for answering quick.

Brin

New Tinkerer
Sep 22, 2023
Hi Eric, so far flashed to current firmware. Attached is Log File. End result is Device shows on SCSI card scans one ISA machine, one PCI machine. Neither will go past SCSI card post on boot. Used to go to OS on both machines but Adaptec Utility's said it needed to be formatted and both errored out that they couldn't format it. Still it appears to work thru adapter to DB 25 connector on camera. No files appear added to card yet count from camera changes. Note these were odd Raw files in those days and were only found thru a twain driver into a specific software. I have the PC's program and it works with another of the same cameras with a working IBM drive I stumbled upon. I wish I had Adobe Photo Shop version 3 for Mac as I have a Quadra 650 and a Powerbook 520c that both work, even if I put the Twain driver in a MAC i at best could see it in the chooser but not the raw files. My surfing for old info for early SCSI bus operation mentions that there were SCSI devices that had no address and that there was a wait period at the end of the initiators scan. These non standard devices would turnbusy true during this period and be selected. Hence things that can only have themselfs on a specikic controller card or they were never seen. These cameras had an internal Go Drive 80mb, and the db25 port. You set a SCSI address on the camera body. The camera showed as a hardware device if it was on a free address. It let a twain driver aquire the images from the software. The drive was not visable as a file. You had the option to use a Backpack Hitch Hiker drive off the DB25 port but took the files from the Hitch Hiker by hooking it to your PC or Mac as a drive. Having it hooked up to the camer nullified the camera seeing its own drive, yet not caring what SCSI ID was on the Hitch Hiker. Could this camera be acting like a controller and not giving the select to the interna drive because it saw the external first on selecting. Why I ask is the strange feature that there isn't even pins for J2 for address selection on the camera mainboard. So without a way to create a drive image with all pins not pulled low like an installed hard drive I need address "0" for my HDA file. Can this be done? Nothing worse than an old Newby huh? Thanks. I added a good text book article I found, let me know if I need to specific thingsn to share/ aknowledge sourrces all legal and stuff.

Attachments

• log (1).txt
    746 bytes · Views: 15
  • lec16.pdf
    109.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Brin

New Tinkerer
Sep 22, 2023
Status update: IT'S ALIVE! Thanks Eric and all. I retraced all my steps and found two items, yes needed address zero. Also had realized it might be considered a LUN as it is a device controlling a device. So thought I wasn't able to pick zero on creator site but went back and I could{?}. Created an ini file that also specified it and allow Luns, send start command on it and controller card. I was only able to get it past scsi error about system halted driver problem error after downgrading firmware. Took and saved pictures, controlled camera etc.. Now Ive got homework to do to document it all. Also found some great articles on SCSI function and use but need advice on posting the for Tinker Different users. More on the project coming as soon as I get some time.

Reactions: eric