SCSI to USB adapter reverse engineering

Elemenoh

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
Bay Area
With asking prices for these adapters being kind of absurd, I figured it might be helpful to consider reverse engineering one. It seems like a couple of special purpose ICs, a ROM and a surprising amount of passives. I don't think I'm up for the challenge of reverse engineering it, but figured some photos and IC info might be helpful if someone else wants to try.

The main ICs are Shuttle EUSB-01 & Shuttle EUSB-S1. I couldn't find data sheets for these. Please post them here if you can.
I'm also not sure of the ROM size, but will dump it if there's interest.

IMG_3511.jpeg

IMG_3514.jpeg

IMG_3515.jpeg

Reactions: Nitram78 and retr01

Androda

TinkerDifferent Board Secretary 2023
Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
At a guess, this is a rebadged SCSI controller chip plus microcontroller. Having the ROM dumped is a step toward figuring out which architecture the CPU is.

Reactions: retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
That would be awesome! Something to hook up SCSI scanners, hard drives, etc., to the G3 and G4 computers. :) I can imagine how that would be neat under macOS 9.

One caveat I am wondering about is that the G3 and G4 USB 2.0 interface only have USB 1.1 support under macOS due to a lack of a driver to run at USB 2.0.

Nov 4, 2021
Tucson, AZ
I suspect that they're bit-banging out SCSI from the EZUSB chip(s) much like BlueSCSI, RaSCSI, and SCSI2SD do, just in reverse. The BlueSCSI hardware could probably be reprogrammed to pass SCSI data in & out the USB port if someone finds a good driver interface to copy. I don't think there is anything extra besides a different firmware to act as a SCSI initiator instead of a target.
USB Attached SCSI is a thing, but it looks to be mostly for accessing SSDs faster on USB3 so there's no telling what the drivers in Windows 10 and OSX will do if they see scanner commands. OS9 won't have a UAS driver at all so maybe copying one of the period appropriate device's communication protocol would be in order.

Elemenoh

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
Bay Area
The BlueSCSI hardware could probably be reprogrammed to pass SCSI data in & out the USB port if someone finds a good driver interface to copy.
Neat idea. @eric have you considered that as a feature before?

Nov 4, 2021
Tucson, AZ
I didn't want to volunteer Eric for more work, but it could be a handy debugging tool to have a USB-SCSI bus sniffer or be able to replay transactions against development code.

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
The BlueSCSI hardware could probably be reprogrammed to pass SCSI data in & out the USB port if someone finds a good driver interface to copy. I don't think there is anything extra besides a different firmware to act as a SCSI initiator instead of a target.
Defiantly would be possible, but would take time/effort. If someone wanted to take a stab at it, go for it!

SnakeCoils

New Tinkerer
Feb 15, 2024
Hello everybody,
this is my first post here and I hope to be in the right place. I have this exact USB-SCSI adapter, the SCM CM-S18 but only with OS 8.6 drivers and I am struggling to use it on OS 9.2.2 because it requires updated drivers I cannot find anywhere on the Net. The Wayback machine keeps to report error 302 every time I try to dig in scmmicrosystems.com and shuttletech.com snapshots so no luck in this direction. The big problem is that every adapter based on this exact chipset was customized for a particular brand so I have actually found updated OS9 drivers but NOT for this specific adapter and they won't load in OS9 (the infamous "eUSCSI Bridge Ver 1.11" requester when I plug in the device) so if I use the 8.6 drivers there they will crash the Mac at System extensions loading.
Now, the Castlewood USB-SCSI adapter has this exact plastic shell (plus the branded label) and I think their OS9 drivers could work out of the box also for my adapter BUT in the various installers I have found on the Net there was no signs of those drivers, only the utilities for the ORB units.
My question is: has the Castlewood USB-SCSI adapter ever worked in OS9? If yes, could someone kindly sent me the needed OS9 extension to activate it?
Many many thanks advance...