SE/30 AB making a clicking sound

Cam

New Tinkerer
Dec 12, 2022
OK. So I've been following the rebuild of Branchus Creations on YouTube, as Bruce repaired a battery bomb SE/30 and decided to give repairing mine a go.

The damage to my board was confined to the space around the battery was once upon a time, and I think I've managed to fix all tha PCB traces that were borked. I plugged the LB into a working AB (an SE that I have), flipped the switch and get a a very faint ticking sound coming from the AB board.

My question: Is this sound an indication of a short on the SE/30 LB? If I put the SE LB back in place everything is fine, so it has to be something bad on the board I'm repairing. I'm sure the ticking sound is a clue, I'm just not sure what it's a clue to . . .

Any help is much appreciated.

C

Nixontheknight

Tinkerer
Nov 3, 2021
OK. So I've been following the rebuild of Branchus Creations on YouTube, as Bruce repaired a battery bomb SE/30 and decided to give repairing mine a go.

The damage to my board was confined to the space around the battery was once upon a time, and I think I've managed to fix all tha PCB traces that were borked. I plugged the LB into a working AB (an SE that I have), flipped the switch and get a a very faint ticking sound coming from the AB board.

My question: Is this sound an indication of a short on the SE/30 LB? If I put the SE LB back in place everything is fine, so it has to be something bad on the board I'm repairing. I'm sure the ticking sound is a clue, I'm just not sure what it's a clue to . . .

Any help is much appreciated.

C
that's an indication that the power supply is being short-circuited, so I'd say check the board for shorts and try recapping it

Cam

New Tinkerer
Dec 12, 2022
that's an indication that the power supply is being short-circuited, so I'd say check the board for shorts and try recapping it
So given that the AB powers the vanilla SE LB, that means the short has to be on the SE/30 board (since connecting it causes the clicks).
Guess I'm going to have to tone out the voltage rails, looking for continuity to the ground plane (?).

Thanks,

C

Cam

New Tinkerer
Dec 12, 2022
Took a while, but found the short (pins 63/64 of the ROM SIMM) once fixed, the ticking stopped.
Now on to the next issue; the video output . . .

C

Reactions: fred1212