SE/30 CRT dilemma

pocketscience

Tinkerer
Apr 29, 2022
Sydney, Australia
I have two SE/30's here that I'm restoring (recapping boards currently). Unfortunately one of the CRT's has a couple of physical chips in it - looks like it was whacked with a screwdriver or something. Otherwise it's OK. The other is externally OK, but when powered up there's a couple of pure black spots on the display near the centre. They look to me like areas where the phosphor coating has delaminated. The spots have a hard edge to them, not fuzzy, and don't change with screen size/position changes - so it doesn't seem like an issue with the beam.

Has anyone seen this before? A bit of searching hasn't revealed much, but I'm assuming these black patches aren't fixable in any way. I don't have a CRT rejuvenator handy other wise I'd give that a go.

So I think I'm probably on the hunt now for two CRT's... in Australia... :rolleyes:

AndyDiags

Tinkerer
Dec 18, 2021
Fortunately, all compact Macs (Plus, Classic, SE, etc) use the same CRT and they are interchangeable.
I would suggest searching for a couple of these with battery leaks and use pull the CRT from them.

rikerjoe

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
I second the recommendation to get a second-hand replacement CRT. They are available on the usual sites. I recently obtained one for my Classic II restoration project, and the CRT worked fine.

Reactions: KingDingus

pocketscience

Tinkerer
Apr 29, 2022
Sydney, Australia
Easier said than done in Australia, but I might end up scrapping a Classic II I have if it's boards continue to trouble me. I know I'd have to change over the yoke gear.. not that hard.