SE/30 Reloaded build -- the dreaded Simasimac

This Does Not Compute

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
www.youtube.com
I've made significant progress in building my SE/30 Reloaded board. Unfortunately, all I'm getting out of it is a Simasimac. There's no chime at all from the speaker/headphone jack, except for a quick pop when I power the machine on. Here's what I've done so far:

--Tried multiple known-good ROM and RAM SIMMs
--Confirmed all 3 oscillators on the board are working
--Verified address line continuity from the ROM SIMM slot to the GLUE chip
--Verified data line continuity from the ROM SIMM slot to the CPU

I've triple-checked all my solder work on the PLCCs under the microscope, and have also confirmed that there aren't any shorts between pins. I'm at the point where I'm starting to suspect there's a defective part at work here, but short of indiscriminately replacing them (a time-consuming and probably expensive affair) I'm not sure how to best check for this. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

68Krescue

New Tinkerer
Jun 23, 2022
Check the components inside the PLCC's for continuity. I am getting better results eliminating the PLCC sockets and soldering the components directly to the pads.

This Does Not Compute

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
www.youtube.com
Check the components inside the PLCC's for continuity. I am getting better results eliminating the PLCC sockets and soldering the components directly to the pads.
I presume you mean to probe the legs of the PLCCs themselves while in their sockets? This is an interesting thought -- the chips seem to snap into the sockets pretty firmly, but I suppose it's quite possible a few legs aren't making a good connection. I just ordered some pin probes for my multimeter to explore this possibility!

rikerjoe

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Hi Colin - Will Jacobs has a YT video talking about artifacting caused by a board error, here:
. But since You are talking about simasimac, this YT video shows troubleshooting and resolution due to poor connections:
Like others have posted above, your likely culprit is a poor connection somewhere.