SE/30 - Video Faults, Horizontal Bars, Vertical Lines

Garrett

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
MN, USA
I'm posting this here in hopes of eventually helping someone else out as I work to solve my own problems. Here's one I haven't seen before, it's a "simasimac" screen with the lovely addition of some video MUX issues (vertical bands). Funny thing is, the board itself is very clean. I've seen much much worse! I believe the culprit to be broken address lines plus issues with UE8 or a surrounding chip. I get no startup chime or any indication the machine is accessing the ROM. Instead it's dumping the contents of VRAM on the screen.

I'll post updates as I work through this board. Toning out each address/dataline is tedious work, but I think necessary in this case.

c.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: lfletche and eric

Garrett

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
MN, USA
Small update - the vertical black lines are gone! Now I'm back to the standard simasimac pattern (for this brand VRAM happens to be the horizonal black/white bars). UE8 was missing two connections to the VRAM which was causing the vertical stripes. In my probing, I also found a handful of connections missing to the ASC. Many bodge wires later and I still have no chime at all. Yes, I've tried different ROM and RAM SIMMs. This one is really stumping me.

board.jpg

lfletche

New Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2022
Hey @Garrett, are they the original caps still on there? I’d suggest you swap out the surface mounts out even if they don’t look too bad.

Garrett

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
MN, USA
Hey @Garrett, are they the original caps still on there? I’d suggest you swap out the surface mounts out even if they don’t look too bad.
All surface-mounted capacitors have been replaced (I prefer the aluminum electrolytics). My next course of action will be to test the address/data lines to the VIAs. I have spent most of my time around the ASC to try and get sound working, but all connections have been restored. Time to investigate something different!