Setting up webshop? (France/EU)

mmu_man

Tinkerer
Jan 30, 2022
During the covid lockdown I spent quite some time designing an AAUI2AUI adapter cable, and actually ordered parts to make like 20 or 30 of them since they were sold at least by 10 anyway… I still only have 2 of them finished though. 😅 (and making kits for this one is probably as time consuming anyway…)

I got distracted by other things, including the FabLab next to home I'm involved with. Now that the FabLab is open we still have much to do, but I spent even more time starting new projects since I now have access to a 3D printer…

Due to health issues I can't really get a full-time job, but at least if I could sell some things that'd cover the time spent designing them. I've been pondering opening a webshop for a while, and I'm now registered as a personal business so I can emit proper bills, but I'd rather avoid the traps of bad platforms, as the paperwork already is painful enough by itself…

So I'd welcome recommendations, things to avoid…

On the platform, I suppose I'll have to setup something WordPress based as I already have some WP to maintain… Any working webshop module for that? Any other simpler platform? We might install Odoo at the FabLab but I really don't fancy maintaining another one just for myself, as it's not really the definition of "simpler".

There's the question of the payment processor as well… I'd probably stick to PayPal for a start, with a separate account from the personal one. Someone suggested Stripe…

For now I'll probably only ship to the EU, it makes more sense to split production across continents. Any recommendation for how to ship from France to the EU?

I could probably set up some ko-fi or other support channel, but I don't even know how I'd declare these incomes properly here…

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
Tindie is great for maker space stuff - the front end and web store is already there. You're also welcome to apply to the TD Trading post for your own section, if you'd like :)

mmu_man

Tinkerer
Jan 30, 2022
Yeah but it's only in English… Do they accept Euros at least?

I think SiliconInsider is both on Tindie and eBay. Not sure I want to go eBay though.

mmu_man

Tinkerer
Jan 30, 2022
I'm starting to have some stuff to sell… Joe told me Tindie had some issues (like, not allowing different items per order!?), anyone experienced that?
I'm already behind on sysadmin for other servers, I'd rather not have to maintain my own shop…