Simple garden table refurbishment

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
We purchased a 20 year old ex-pub bench from a couple that lived around the corner, shortly after we moved in. Despite being 20 years old, it was in fairly good condition. However, the elements started to take its toll over the last year or so, what with it being the wettest year ever (seemingly). The structure was solid, but the top planks had, in the middle, started to rot. I handed my wife a chisel and she gleefully cut out all the chunks of rot on all the planks, ready to apply wood filler.

Why not replace the planks? Well, wood and especially chestnut, which is what the table is made of (not cheap pine!), is extremely expensive. Also, the top is not a structural part and in the worst place it was maybe 1.5cm deep in a plank that measures 5cm thick.

Unfortunately I didn't take photo of the table beforehand, and only took these towards the end of the work - you can see here the table after the wood filler (Ronseal High Performance wood filler) had been applied but not yet sanded. I started on the un-fillered planks with BriWax as a test, and liked the end result...a lot!

DSC_2808 (1).JPG
DSC_2809.JPG

I then sanded down the filler with a 40-grit sanding disc on an angle grinder, there were a few small dips but overall ended up about as level as could hope for. Luckily it was a nice sunny day (a rarity in the UK right now) so the wife and I spent an hour waxing the table with more BriWax and steel wool. This is how the table looked after it's first two coats and a buff with a microfibre cloth.

DSC_2810.JPG

After a third coat of BriWax, this is what the wood looks like up close....PHWOAR LOOK AT THAT KNOT!

DSC_2811.JPG

Even though BriWax is not an exterior wax, more meant for furniture - its done a tremendous job on the table and now it is, to a certain extent, water repellent - it just glides across the surface and wipes off. The following weekend we went a little further and ended up sanding down and waxing the bench seats for it as well just because it looks so good.

We'll give it another coat of wax or three before we pack it away for winter, and by that i mean slinging a tarp over it so it lasts a bit longer.

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
We purchased a 20 year old ex-pub bench from a couple that lived around the corner, shortly after we moved in. Despite being 20 years old, it was in fairly good condition. However, the elements started to take its toll over the last year or so, what with it being the wettest year ever (seemingly). The structure was solid, but the top planks had, in the middle, started to rot. I handed my wife a chisel and she gleefully cut out all the chunks of rot on all the planks, ready to apply wood filler.

Why not replace the planks? Well, wood and especially chestnut, which is what the table is made of (not cheap pine!), is extremely expensive. Also, the top is not a structural part and in the worst place it was maybe 1.5cm deep in a plank that measures 5cm thick.

Unfortunately I didn't take photo of the table beforehand, and only took these towards the end of the work - you can see here the table after the wood filler (Ronseal High Performance wood filler) had been applied but not yet sanded. I started on the un-fillered planks with BriWax as a test, and liked the end result...a lot!

View attachment 17445 View attachment 17446

I then sanded down the filler with a 40-grit sanding disc on an angle grinder, there were a few small dips but overall ended up about as level as could hope for. Luckily it was a nice sunny day (a rarity in the UK right now) so the wife and I spent an hour waxing the table with more BriWax and steel wool. This is how the table looked after it's first two coats and a buff with a microfibre cloth.

View attachment 17447

After a third coat of BriWax, this is what the wood looks like up close....PHWOAR LOOK AT THAT KNOT!

View attachment 17448

Even though BriWax is not an exterior wax, more meant for furniture - its done a tremendous job on the table and now it is, to a certain extent, water repellent - it just glides across the surface and wipes off. The following weekend we went a little further and ended up sanding down and waxing the bench seats for it as well just because it looks so good.

We'll give it another coat of wax or three before we pack it away for winter, and by that i mean slinging a tarp over it so it lasts a bit longer.
Very nice job. When my wife and I bought our current abode, it came with this massive 15 foot picnic table that was covered with this thick dark syrupy brown sealant stuff. I sanded it down and it soaked up an entire large can of exterior wood seal/stain. The old gunk that was on it was really difficult to sand off. I think i ran though 4 or 5 belts from my handheld belt sander trying to get that stuff off and my hands/wrists were numb for a week LOL. It just ate through them. Anyways that was a number of years back at this point and it still looks pretty good (although it could use another light wash/sand and coating this fall I think). We definitely enjoy it and get loads of use out of it.

Again, great job - a wonderful addition for sharing ones backyard garden with family and friends :)