SMC SE Analog board and Neck board Resurrections

• Poll - Extending the term length of the board
    The poll has now closed and the results are now available here.

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com
I recently built Kai Robinson's Classic Reloaded and Bolle's SE/30 Recreation. Classic Reloaded was assembled cool and completed. However, the SE/30 is not cool with the genuine analog board, which is essential. So I decided to make an analog board.
Before anyone points it out, this product is not suitable for those who only want functionality. I want to seek beauty, so I just create.

Since it's a single layer board, I didn't use the advanced techniques like Kai's and Bolle's logic boards, but I placed the ground Cu fill like the original.
While making it, I thought about how faithfully it should be made and whether I should add my own arrangement.

Differences from genuine board:
- Coating is also applied to the top layer. The aim is to make the impression tight with red and black.
- LEDs are arranged one by one. I think you can use a blinking LED if it doesn't affect the noise.
- Great Drake's "IC Devil" character. And SMC and my logos.

If there are no major problems, I hope to report the completion next month...

Attachments

• スクリーンショット 2022-11-22 18.43.58.png
    スクリーンショット 2022-11-22 18.43.58.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 117
  • スクリーンショット 2022-11-22 18.42.29.png
    スクリーンショット 2022-11-22 18.42.29.png
    37 KB · Views: 109

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com
@Kay K.M.Mods, this may be an excellent thing for those struggling to resurrect a compact Mac, such as a Mac Plus whose analog board will not cooperate after recapping, reflowing, etc. :)I think, it mostly peoples ignores solder cracks. Often, if the legs of the part are black, the solder won't get on well, but you can't see it.
Yeah, I would be happy if it helps someone, the copper layer damaged by the electrolyte can be revived, so being clean is sometimes wonderful.
But what happens after recapping is mostly due to solder cracks. Or overlooking that the legs of the parts are black and corroded. In that case, solder will not stick. It is important to take a close look at the legs of parts, especially where heat is applied, and the legs of diodes, transformers, and wiring materials.

Reactions: JDW

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com
I'm slowly updating the board while waiting for the PCB to arrive. I used 5V to power the LED, but changed it to 12V. The original has dots scattered around the ground fill, but I did it the same way.
I created the BOM first, so please use them.

*Dec 22, Analog BOM Updated.
*Dec 5, Neck board BOM Uploaded.

Attachments

• Neck Board BOM.xlsx.zip
    7.8 KB · Views: 81
  • SE_ANALOG_BOM.xlsx.zip
    10.9 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com
Rev1.0 worked fine with no footprint mistakes.
For the next step, minor change in Rev1.2 (1.1 is a plan failure):

- The LEDs are powered from +12V (similar to my Neck Board) instead of from +5V. There are 3 positions for LED placement because there is a preference. You can install it as you like.
- The pads on the U3 were small, so I made them bigger. U2 is also slightly bigger.
- A small square dot is provided on the ground fill. Also fixed the shape of the ground fill.
- Moved the R4 trimmer hole slightly to the center. Apple's genuine hole is also misaligned.
- Fixed the ground of the front brightness adjustment pot.
- I made the hole for the wiring on the neck board smaller. I'm trying to match AWG#20 exactly.
- fixed misspelling silkscreen 😅

In fact, many current electrolytic capacitors have a narrow pitch, so I thought about correcting this as well, but I gave up because it would be impossible and half-finished depending on the position.

Special thanks for @Drake and @Stephen , they support me spiritually...lol

スクリーンショット 2022-12-06 23.51.43.png

スクリーンショット 2022-12-06 0.02.09.pngスクリーンショット 2022-12-07 0.01.06.pngスクリーンショット 2022-12-07 0.00.55.png

Last edited:

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com
The Rev.1.2 board has been completed. It looks like all the prototype work is done with this, so we are thinking of selling this. I have my own store so I don't open source it, I sell it reasonably in my store.

Rev.1.2 improves:
- Improvement of the GND part where the brightness pot is attached
- Replaces entire GND fill design
- Improved the size of each part hole
- Added 2 more LEDs
- Fixed "Resurrections" silkscreen spelling mistakes
- Both layers have solder mask *We are considering Red and Purple
IMG_4039.jpeg

Genjoke

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Brazil - Rio de Janeiro - Flamengo
ahhhh, I don't have time for another project at the moment, so I'll contact you when I feel like doing it.
As a matter of fact, I've repaired Classic analogs twice, so I know the structure very well.
Thank you @Genjoke !!!

I am only a hobbyist, I’m trying to repair one and it’s driving me crazy 🤣 But I know you are in another level!!!! I follow all the videos about your amazing products!

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com
I am only a hobbyist, I’m trying to repair one and it’s driving me crazy 🤣 But I know you are in another level!!!! I follow all the videos about your amazing products!
Thank you. Now I'm almost done repairing my Mac, so I have time to think about my own products. I often don't know if it's good or not so interesting... Idk if I'm another level or not, but thanks to all of you for making it fun😄

Reactions: retr01 and Genjoke

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com
I know Bolle made this. he always does a great job.

However, I thought that 640x480 display was not possible.
In that case, the usage is quite limited. I made a SATANIC SE/30 before, which can display XVGA rather than VGA.

This method also works for SE/30 logic boards.
*video card required

On a side note, Bolle's neckboard and graphics card look great in purple.
Unfortunately it is not possible to use it in combination with our product. You can use only the SMC analog board...
I LOVE your stuff, @Kay K.M.Mods! :)

I wonder if a mod on the video neck board allows greyscale on the SE/30? 🤓 For example, I found this on a mirror of one of Gamba's web pages:

SE/30 GrayScale Adapter

I realize that Bolle did make a clone of the Micron and the video neck board. Yet, is a complicated video card needed?