Sparcstation 2 feet

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
Through some good fortune, I've recently come into three Sparcstation 2 machines - all with Weitek Powerups :)

My question though, is about the feet. On all three of them, it looks like at one point the glue softened, the feet "slid" around, and now the glue is hardened again.

The feel are all kitty-wampus, not lined up with the cases at all any more.

Considering how solid they seem to be attached now, what might have happened? Could it have been heat? Pressure from heavy monitor? Both combined? Anyway, the question is whether anyone has any ideas on how to fix this. Seems like my two options are gently using a heat gun and see if that loosens things up, or else I can carefully try some solvents and see if I can remove and then re-glue the feet onto the case.

Let me know if you have any insight,

Steve

Starkoman

New Tinkerer
Jan 24, 2022
St. Helens (NorthWest England)
Yes, I too would like to see photos to establish what movement we’re dealing with exactly. We’re only talking about 3mm along maybe two axis (at most), aren’t we?

As the rubber feet have their own container “wells”, they don’t move far.

Yes, I think it could be possible that the glue turned to gel (aka gunk) in a hot attic/storage spot one summer. It happens to capstan wheels in printers and DAT drives too.

You may need to replicate that slow rising, overall, gentle heat in the sunshine this summer to get the feet to cooperate. By 8:30/9am, the Sparcstation feet could be mobile.

I would definitely not be keen to put solvents or a heat gun (God forbid), near fragile twenty year-old plastics — or rubber. I imagine that’s a short route to disaster/ruining it.

if you don’t live in a country that has warm/hot summers, try putting your Sparcstation upside-down (feet up), under a black sheet in a windows’ sunlight, checking back every so often. Hopefully that’s enough to get those feet movin’.

Last edited: