SSD in an TAM (ATA Drivers Issue)

Silver04GT

New Tinkerer
Jun 18, 2023
Hi everyone, I've been on a long journey trying to get my TAM to boot from 120GB SSD, I'm booting to a Mac OS 9.1 install CD to do the installs.

The parts I'm currently using are:
Dogfish Msata 120GB Internal Solid State Drive Mini Sata SSD Disk
GINTOOYUN MSATA Mini PCI-E SSD to 2.5 Inch IDE 44Pin Enclosure Adapter

I've also tried:
Ableconn IIDE-MSAT mSATA SSD to 2.5-Inch IDE Adapter Converter with Aluminum Frame Bracket
GODSHARK Laptop SATA to IDE Adapter, Convert 2.5 Inch Serial ATA HDD Hard Disk Drive or SSD to 44 Pin Male PATA Port
Kingston 120GB A400 SATA 3 2.5" Internal SSD SA400S37/120G
Transcend 128GB SATA III 6GB/S MSA230S mSATA SSD 230S Solid State Drive

For software I've used:
Drive Setup from Mac OS 9.1 install disc
FWB Hard Disk Toolkit
SilverLight

The Gintooyun adapter seems to be the best at actually showing hard drives, I've various level of success with the Transcend and Dogfish drives. It seems like when they are fresh of out of the package some about the initial format of the drive things work as expected, but if you ever reformat the drive things go south. I did have a working config yesterday and the ATA driver showed v2.0a8 but I never seem to be able to get it back to that version now that I messed it up. I know that SilverLight installs an ATA drive that's version 6.1. When I try to install with that driver I get a lot of weird distortions of the icon on the desktop and even file names get weird random characters in them. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas on either how to get back to that specific ATA driver version or what else to try?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0574.jpeg
    IMG_0574.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0575.jpeg
    IMG_0575.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 45

misterg33

New Tinkerer
Oct 10, 2022
Have you tried one of the SD Card or CF Card to ATA adapters instead? Considering the age of the machine, I doubt using an actual SSD will seem much faster. Also is there anything plugged into the PCI slot?

Silver04GT

New Tinkerer
Jun 18, 2023
Have you tried one of the SD Card or CF Card to ATA adapters instead? Considering the age of the machine, I doubt using an actual SSD will seem much faster. Also is there anything plugged into the PCI slot?
There is a Asante Ethernet card in the PCI slot. I thought about the CF thing, as I've seen a few people going that route. I was a little worried about the long-term durability of a CF card.

I decided to try and order the KingSpec PATA SSD in 64GB. I'll give that a try and if that fails I'll try the CF route.