Strange Comments on YouTube — SPAM?

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Question for those of you into YouTube, like @This Does Not Compute , @Mac84 and @Branchus (and others)...

Some of my videos have recently been getting an influx of unusual comments like this:

1725667551666.png

They didn't come all at once, and I got an email notification for each. At first, I thought it was somebody tagging his friends, which is perfectly fine by me. But upon closer inspection today, I am seeing multiple such comments, all posted by different YouTube accounts. And none of the names mentioned are tagged in any way I can see. And yet, this isn't what I consider to be normal SPAM because it's not trying to steal your money or making you click on a link to find girly pics.

Do any of you know what the objective is by people making such comments?

It's rather amusing because comments actually help our channels by generating interest, which in turn triggers the YouTube algorithm to recommend our videos more. I know this is true because whenever I get a meaningful comment, I often reply back, and that in turn seems to trigger other new replies in the next 48 hours, even on very old videos.

But at the same time, meaningless comments look ridiculous and help no one.

Anyway, I'm just curious to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks.

YMK

Active Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
Do any of you know what the objective is by people making such comments?

My guess is this is a bot from some reputation cleanup service that litters the web with the names of its clients in order to displace existing search results.

Reactions: JDW

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
I appreciate the replies. I went ahead and just deleted the oddball comments just now. We'll see if they return in the future.