Surprise!

• Poll - Extending the term length of the board
    The poll has now closed and the results are now available here.

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
Was working on the Franken-Lisa today, and was able to revive one of my dormant Widget drives by transplanting the top two boards - where the data cable plugs in and the read/write board below it. The target drive would never come ready, and another Widget sounded like something scraping against the platters, but would come ready.

While I didn't have a lot of faith in the swap, I figured I didn't have much to lose. Needless to say, I was suprised when I got the Xenix boot prompt! This was probably last booted up in the mid-90s. I used to do uucp transfers back and forth to work, and for a while I had a DEC terminal hooked up to a Lisa serial port, mostly for fun, though it worked very well.

Lisa_Xenix.jpeg

paule

New Tinkerer
Feb 16, 2023
I have a Widget with XENIX installed also, which I'd like to backup to an image. What is the recommended way to do that nowadays?

paule

New Tinkerer
Feb 16, 2023
Thanks - that looks promising. I’m servicing my floppy drive now. I will check out BLU after.

paule

New Tinkerer
Feb 16, 2023
BLU began very promisingly. Unfortunately, using Read from Disk to Serial Port goes through the entire transfer process before finishing with (in BLU):

OPERATION COMPLETED
POSSIBLY INCORRECT BLOCK CHECKSUMS - 255A

Even worse, at that point Serial tells me that the transfer failed and doesn't save any data 😢 Any ideas how to get around this?